C
CutlerB
Guest
Time for some history! 
I have just learned that, especially in the German dioceses, there have been historical examples of Prince-Bishops who never received Holy Orders. Examples of these are Ferdinand von Bayern (1577-1650), Prince-elector and “Archbishop” of Cologne, and Bishop of Hildesheim, Lüttich, Münster und Paderborn, as well as Otto Graf von Schaumburg(1517-1576), Count of Schaumburg and “Bishop” of Hildesheim.
I checked with catholic-hierarchy.org and it appears that neither of the two ever received Holy Orders and were thus laypeople holding the title of Bishop.
Now, Cardinal-elect (?) Gerhard Ludwig MĂĽller said in a recent interview that the power of jurisdiction is reserved to those who have received Holy Orders. His words were:
I have just learned that, especially in the German dioceses, there have been historical examples of Prince-Bishops who never received Holy Orders. Examples of these are Ferdinand von Bayern (1577-1650), Prince-elector and “Archbishop” of Cologne, and Bishop of Hildesheim, Lüttich, Münster und Paderborn, as well as Otto Graf von Schaumburg(1517-1576), Count of Schaumburg and “Bishop” of Hildesheim.
I checked with catholic-hierarchy.org and it appears that neither of the two ever received Holy Orders and were thus laypeople holding the title of Bishop.
Now, Cardinal-elect (?) Gerhard Ludwig MĂĽller said in a recent interview that the power of jurisdiction is reserved to those who have received Holy Orders. His words were:
These “Bishops” apparently exercised jurisdiction, I am told. Can somebody explain this? Is Archbishop Müller right, and if so, what are we to think of the men mentioned above?In matters of Church governance, there are tasks that are reserved to the Apostolic office. Matters of jurisdiction are reserved to those who have received Holy Orders.