Prison Ministry

• Thread starter Thread starter deacon_chuck
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deacon_chuck

I am a new deacon involved in prison minisry.Does anyone have any program that they use specifically for inmates at a maximum security prison? If so let me know.
Thanks,
Dc Chuck

I’m also in the prison ministry in Lubbock, Texas and am looking for an RCIA program tailored for prisoners.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Carl

I will be praying for both of you my wife works probation and parol and I will look foward to following this thread.

Another idea would be to try the Word among us web site they do a bunch with Prison ministry.

wau.org/

God Bless and Be Safe

deacon chuck:
I am a new deacon involved in prison minisry.Does anyone have any program that they use specifically for inmates at a maximum security prison? If so let me know.
Thanks,
Dc Chuck
Your posting gave me the chills. We have a person named “Chuck” at my parish who has referred to himself as a “deacon” for years. He also spent many years working in prison ministry until he was booted by the state.

Amazingly enough, he’s actually in a permanent diaconate formation program. The Holy Spirit works in some very different ways at times…

40.png
Crusader:
Your posting gave me the chills. We have a person named “Chuck” at my parish who has referred to himself as a “deacon” for years. He also spent many years working in prison ministry until he was booted by the state.

Amazingly enough, he’s actually in a permanent diaconate formation program. The Holy Spirit works in some very different ways at times…
I,ve been a deacon for 1 year…(ARK) The prisons are interesting places to evangelize… normally half of the classes are non-catholic, so I need material to not only catechize the Catholic inmates but also help to bring the non-catholics the good news of the Catholic Church.
Dc Chuck

While this may not be exactly what you are looking for, the information is very helpful for prisoners, even non-Catholics.
  1. St. Dismas Guild is a ministry for inmates founded by Deacon Ken Finn. Prisoners can request the Bread of Life Catholic Bible Study and the St. Dismas Guild newsletter.
St. Dismas Guild

PO Box 2129

Escondido, CA 92033
  1. Prisoners may also want to contact the following ministry to receive a free monthly “Reflections on the readings in the Church Year”, or you can order several going to one address.
Prayer in the Home Press

P.O. Box 43 4210

San Ysidro, CA 92143-4210
  1. Prisoners may contact Catholic Answers directly for a copy of “Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth” and “Pure Love” as well as some other materials.
All three of the above organizations rely on contributions from others so that they may make these materials available to prisoners at no cost.
  1. Here is a web site with plenty to discuss, and the info is free:
cin.org/cis.html
  1. Of course, there are many, many tracts available in our library at our Catholic Answers web site:
catholic.com/

May God bless you in your ministry!

Jan,

Thanks for the tips. Will pass them on to our prisoners.

Please pray for their peace of mind.

Carl

I have served as a volunteer prison chaplain for seven years and over two years as a full time prison chaplain of which one year was as a Catholic Chaplain on Death Row over 400 men).
There are a tremendous amount of prison literature and programs for Catholic chaplains and inmates. It took me a while to build up my benefactors but after a while it was easy to keep up the yearly literature that comes each month for the men.
I am off work at this time with a fractured vertabrae in my back, I may tiomorrow list some of my resources for prison chaplins.
maybe this will help new prison chaplains.
peace - love - and - blessings
deacon pops chaplain

My brother is in prison right now. They have issue’s with the Baptist chaplin “forgetting” to get them the key for the tabernacle. They also have issues with only having a few Catholic bibles. He helps sing and play guitar for their Mass. We also send them issues of This Rock to help with their evangelizing within the prisoners.

They have a Bible study during the week, and Mass on Sunday’s. For a while it would be hit or miss whether they would have a priest. I think they have a permenant one now.

What we are most worried about is that he is becoming so active in the ministry inside the prison that when he comes out that he’ll be welcomed back into our parish.

Good morning and peace be to you.

My name is John and I am a former inmate dedicated to serving the LORD by sharing my testimony with inmates and those who suffer from addictions. My testimony is available for 3 dollars and 1 dollar each (in bulk) available at saintjoe.com/prodinfo.asp?number=A6-6.

If there is anything I can do, please do not hesitate to contact me. You can also visit our youtube. youtube.com/user/Reasonsforfaithlive

GOD bless

I,ve been a deacon for 1 year…(ARK) The prisons are interesting places to evangelize… normally half of the classes are non-catholic, so I need material to not only catechize the Catholic inmates but also help to bring the non-catholics the good news of the Catholic Church.
Dc Chuck
ALPHA has a program specifically for use in prisons, and it has been around long enough that most prison administrators are aware of it. I is initial evangelization, or what in RCIA would be the pre-catechumenate, the principles of the Creed, Trinity and Christian belief w/o sectarian slant. They have long experience in using it and they send you to training for that.

In your training you can also find about additional resources to do “Alpha for Catholics”. One good on is Touching Jesus through the Church by Marcello D’Ambrosio, which extends the Alpha method to specifically Catholic topics.

Alpha comes also in English and Spanish versions, which is often necessary today.

Here is a list of resources that I send to all the guys I correspond with.

The American Bible Society is not Catholic but they do have some Catholic versions that they distribute. 🤷

The Catholic Prison Ministry is no longer active because the dear woman who ran it retired due to age and health issues. I have tried to take up some of that slack.

PM me with addresses if you want me to correspond with any of the prisoners. Mail is a real big deal to them.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Good morning and peace be to you.
My name is John and I am a former inmate dedicated to serving the LORD by sharing my testimony with inmates and those who suffer from addictions. My testimony is available for 3 dollars and 1 dollar each (in bulk) available at saintjoe.com/prodinfo.asp?number=A6-6.

If there is anything I can do, please do not hesitate to contact me. You can also visit our youtube. (Click link below)
youtube.com/watch?v=7dRiF35ERsk&feature=channel

I don’t know if this would work for them, but if they can listen to .mp3 files, I have a web site that has many great Catholic talks on it. I just added a page for 50 talks by the late Archbishop Fulton Sheen on the Catechism.

alabamacatholicresources.com/Catechism.html

There are many others, too. Those files can be downloaded and added to .mp3 players, iPods, burned to CD’s, or listened to on PC’s. I don’t know what kind of devices/access the prisoners have, but if they do have access, I suspect they may enjoy these.

God bless! 🙂

Prison ministries pose special challenges. I know many folks who have taught in prisons or served as chaplains. The oldest non-religious association (though there are many pious members) is the PA Prison Society founded by Benjamin Rush in 1787. I went through their training many years ago to become an Official Prison Visitor so I am able to recommend them to you from personal experience. I think you will find their programs and website to be useful. The website has a very comprehensive list of useful links.

prisonsociety.org/index.shtml

I direct a non-profit providing Christian self-help correspondence programs for prison inmates across the US. We have 40 volunteers that facilitate the programs, all but 1 are Catholic. Programs are free: Anger Management For Men, Anger Management for Women, Parenting, 12-Step Chemical Dependency, Adult Children of Alcoholics, and My Life Story As A Prayer Journal for Healing. All programs are free to inmates who write and request…CREATIVE OPTIONS, P.O. Box 808, Lyons, OR 97358. God bless your work! Billie Walter, T.O. Carm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back