Private Interpretation of Scripture

  • Thread starter Thread starter Timonator348
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at all. But the Holy Spirit is the spirit of Truth, so when a church teaches something that is consonant with Catholic teaching, then the HS is present in that church.

When a church teaches something that is contrary to Catholic teaching, then the HS is not present in that church.

That is, if a church teaches OSAS, the HS is not present in that church, to the degree that they proclaim this, for this is contrary to the truth proclaimed by the CC.

If a church teaches that Scripture is the Word of God, then the HS is present in that church, to the degree that they proclaim this, for this is consonant with the truth proclaimed by the CC.
That is a lot of if’s.

So, is it possible for a Church, other than the RCC, be inspired by the Holy Spirit. Of course I mean within the guidance of the HS.
 
That is a lot of if’s.
I suggest you do a search for the word “if” and see how many times it appears in the bible. 😃
So, is it possible for a Church, other than the RCC, be inspired by the Holy Spirit. Of course I mean within the guidance of the HS.
Of course, Isaiah. The HS is present in Christian churches–of that there is no doubt.

However, the HS is not the spirit of chaos and confusion. The tens of thousands of Christian denominations, each claiming they are inspired by the HS, cannot all be teaching the truth.

When their truths are consonant with the CC, then they are proclaiming the truth.

i.e. If they proclaim that Jesus is divine, then the HS inspired them to proclaim this.

If they proclaim that Jesus is the reincarnation of the Archangel Michael, well, then, the HS is not present.
 
I suggest you do a search for the word “if” and see how many times it appears in the bible. 😃

Of course, Isaiah. The HS is present in Christian churches–of that there is no doubt.

However, the HS is not the spirit of chaos and confusion. The tens of thousands of Christian denominations, each claiming they are inspired by the HS, cannot all be teaching the truth.

**When their truths are consonant with the CC, then they are proclaiming the truth. **

i.e. If they proclaim that Jesus is divine, then the HS inspired them to proclaim this.

If they proclaim that Jesus is the reincarnation of the Archangel Michael, well, then, the HS is not present.
By CC, are you referring to the Christian Church or RCC?

And if it is RCC, what are you referring to consonant truth? For example, Purgatory, Papal Authority, etc.

While you understand them to be truth, other Churches do not. While they are in harmony with most of the Traditions, Scriptures and Holy Trinity.

And to be clear, I am not advocating private interpretation of Scripture as means of implementing a doctrine that is inconsistent with Scripture itself. And also, that I am not advocating Sola Scripture either. Sorry for the disclaimer but I feel the need to have to explain myself in order to not be misinterpreted.

ETA: Grammar knuckleheadness…
 
By CC, are you referring to the Christian Church or RCC?
I am referring to the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church is not Roman. There are 23 rites within the Church, and the Latin, or “Roman” rite is the largest, but the Catholic Church is not Roman.

And there is no such thing as the “Christian Church”, Isaiah. Unless you can tell me what its doctrines are and who belongs to this church and how they worship. 🤷
 
And if it is RCC, what are you referring to consonant truth? For example, Purgatory, Papal Authority, etc.
Could you please re-phrase your question? I am not understanding your term “consonant truth”.
 
I am referring to the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church is not Roman. There are 23 rites within the Church, and the Latin, or “Roman” rite is the largest, but the Catholic Church is not Roman.

And there is no such thing as the “Christian Church”, Isaiah. Unless you can tell me what its doctrines are and who belongs to this church and how they worship. 🤷
Ok, I am a victim of my own assumption :o Saw your religion Roman Catholic and figured you were referring to the RCC specifically.

I was not sure of what you were referring to, so I quoted your acronym.

Christian Church is a common term used broadly to define the Church where the followers of Christ attend to worship. I was not sure whether or not you were using it in that context and my intention was not to imply a private knowledge of mine :p.
 
I suggest you do a search for the word “if” and see how many times it appears in the bible. 😃

Of course, Isaiah. The HS is present in Christian churches–of that there is no doubt.

However, the HS is not the spirit of chaos and confusion. The tens of thousands of Christian denominations, each claiming they are inspired by the HS, cannot all be teaching the truth.

When their truths are consonant with the CC, then they are proclaiming the truth.

i.e. If they proclaim that Jesus is divine, then the HS inspired them to proclaim this.

If they proclaim that Jesus is the reincarnation of the Archangel Michael, well, then, the HS is not present.
Could you please re-phrase your question? I am not understanding your term “consonant truth”.
🤷 I was quoting you (see bold sentence on quote above)… thus my question 🤷
 
Ok, I am a victim of my own assumption :o Saw your religion Roman Catholic and figured you were referring to the RCC specifically.
'kay. That’s fine. Just so you understand that the Roman Catholic Church is part of the bigger Catholic Church.
Christian Church is a common term used broadly to define the Church where the followers of Christ attend to worship. I was not sure whether or not you were using it in that context and my intention was not to imply a private knowledge of mine :p.
Again, there is no “Christian Church”. There are tens of thousands of Christian denominations, each claiming their interpretation of the Scriptures are the correct one.
 
🤷 I was quoting you (see bold sentence on quote above)… thus my question 🤷
'kay. So what did you mean by “consonant truth”?

That is not a phrasing that I am familiar with.

“Consonant” means “being in agreement with”. Thus, the term “consonant truth” that you used makes no sense.
 
The terms truth and consonant were juxtaposed to form the question…

I did not say there is a Christian Church but that it is a common term and I did not know if that is what you were referring to.

/Cheers

You win!
 
The terms truth and consonant were juxtaposed to form the question…

I did not say there is a Christian Church but that it is a common term and I did not know if that is what you were referring to.

/Cheers

You win!
Well, “I” didn’t win. But Catholicism does! 👍
 
Amen! I pray everyone get a true 73 booked Catholic Bible in their hands and read it diligently!
 
So has anyone come up with a verse to say we can simply be guided by the Holy Spirit individualy when interpreting Scripture?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top