P
pumpkinbeast
Guest
Instead of derailing the Pregnant Mommies thread, which I lurk on, I thought I would start my own thread about this issue… There is a discussion going on about whether or not it would be moral to work in a hospital that provides abortions, and there are several posters saying that the devil must be tempting this person to work in a hospital that provides abortions. Perhaps it’s different in the States, but here in Canada, we don’t have a huge amount of choice in the matter: if you want to be a Health Care Provider(HCP), you will be working within a system that does support abortion, even if you didn’t have anything to do with actually performing them yourself. Following the logic from the other thread, are you saying that all pro-life HCPs in Canada should quit, even if they never have anything to do with an actual abortion?
I really want to work in the children’s hospital, but one small section of it does provide abortions, gynecological surgery. I don’t have to work in that area. I have rights as an RN to conscientious objection, and I can hand off the care of a patient having an abortion to another nurse, if there is one available. I can also be there with patients considering abortions, and explain to them the TRUTH of what they are considering, unlike what other HCPs might tell them. I can spread a pro-life attitude, hopefully, through my actions and attitude. I can also just do my job and support my family, which will hopefully contain kids someday that me and my DH will raise to be pro-life.
So, is it the ‘devil’ that is tempting me to learn how to care for people and work as a nurse, just so I can work in a health care system that provides abortions? Or is God calling me to make a difference in that same system?
I really want to work in the children’s hospital, but one small section of it does provide abortions, gynecological surgery. I don’t have to work in that area. I have rights as an RN to conscientious objection, and I can hand off the care of a patient having an abortion to another nurse, if there is one available. I can also be there with patients considering abortions, and explain to them the TRUTH of what they are considering, unlike what other HCPs might tell them. I can spread a pro-life attitude, hopefully, through my actions and attitude. I can also just do my job and support my family, which will hopefully contain kids someday that me and my DH will raise to be pro-life.
So, is it the ‘devil’ that is tempting me to learn how to care for people and work as a nurse, just so I can work in a health care system that provides abortions? Or is God calling me to make a difference in that same system?