Probably silly secret marriage question; need help

  • Thread starter Thread starter erine
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

erine

Guest
I have a probably dumb question but I need the validation to settle it in my mind.

When I was engaged we haphazardly said some marriage vows alone with no one else there.

Not only was it secret but it was due to the fact that I was having serious panic attacks due to living with an abuser at the time and wanting to escape. To be clear, I didn’t even remember the abuse at the time, and was not deliberately using my fiancé to escape; I’m speaking from hindsight here. But it was effectively a fear based thing due to severe PTSD and panic.

I realize there are at least three if not more factors that make these vows completely invalid according to canon law. Even had there been witnesses in a church and a presider, it would have been invalid due to my state.

I also confessed it and the priest kind of laughed and said “we’ll give you a dispensation.”

My question is, do I have to take any more “official” steps to declare it null or can I safely assume I am free to marry whom I please in the future? Normally with even invalid marriages an annulment procedure is needed, but I somehow feel like is case is not as serious, though I could be wrong.

I’m just asking because I get scrupulous and feel this tie that is probably just my scruples and not a matrimonial bond.

Thank you for your insights
 
Every question that weighs on your heart is a good one. 👍

Regarding this particular question: there does not seem to be anything to investigate except, as you wrote, for your scruples.

Do you have a regular confessor/spiritual adviser? If not, it would be good for your situation.
 
Thank you 🙂 and yes I have a spiritual director. I don’t get to see him as often as I’d like. I prayed Jesus would officially annull it for me and i feel better now 🙂 free
 
I would think your confessoin would cover this and if it didn’t your priest would have instructed you on the next step to take. Since no valid sacrament was involved and it wasn’t a legal marriage under any church by a recognized pastor you should be fine.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top