Profound bow or genuflect?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tsering
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tsering

Guest
This is probably an easy question for most of you:

My RCIA teacher says it’s best to make a profound bow before entering the pew. Most people I see genuflect and even the book I’m reading to my children says to do this (“The Mass Book for Children” by Rosemarie Gortler & Donna Piscitelli).

So profound bow or genuflect? 🤷

Peace
 
If the Blessed Sacrament is reserved in the tabernacle or exposed for adoration, then you should genuflect in that direction.
 
What I don’t understand is how can some of the basic teachings of the Catholic faith be taught differently? Is it just a parish issue or is there truly lack of knowledge.

What I don’t get is why some people hold their hands up during the our father and some hold them together in prayer and some hold each others hands. Why are people being taught different things? I was always taught to keep my hands folded in prayer. When I left the church back in 1997 and came back everyone around me holds their hands up in the air. I guess it doesn’t matter anymore or at least that’s the way it seems since the pastors don’t say anything.
 
A genuflection is made whenever one passes in front of the Blessed Sacrament.

A profound bow is made whenever one passes in front of the Altar.

If the tabernacle is in the center of the Church where the altar is…when one passes in front of the altar in this can one genuflects.

I also genuflect when entering or leaving the pew…(which is generally the going custom in the US as I see it) (and when entering or leaving the Church at times) in the direction of the Blessed Sacrament.
 
Note though in some Eastern Catholic Churches the rubric is to give a profound bow before the Blessed Sacrament…

(when I attend go to an Eastern Liturgy or Church…I either genuflect (as a Roman…I hope such is ok for it contains the bow) or I bow …or both :))
 
As others have pointed out, the “rule” is not about entering the pew, it’s about showing reverence to the Blessed Sacrament …or to the altar if the Blessed Sacrament is not present in a visibly located tabernacle.

As such, the practice is specific to each Church rather than a general rule for all churches.
 
This is probably an easy question for most of you:

My RCIA teacher says it’s best to make a profound bow before entering the pew. Most people I see genuflect and even the book I’m reading to my children says to do this (“The Mass Book for Children” by Rosemarie Gortler & Donna Piscitelli).

So profound bow or genuflect? 🤷

Peace
genuflect
 
This is probably an easy question for most of you:

My RCIA teacher says it’s best to make a profound bow before entering the pew. Most people I see genuflect and even the book I’m reading to my children says to do this (“The Mass Book for Children” by Rosemarie Gortler & Donna Piscitelli).

So profound bow or genuflect? 🤷

Peace
It depends on where the tabernacle is.

If it is behind the altar, then it is appropriate to genuflect. If the tabernacle is in a separate chapel, then bow to the altar. If you have problems with your knees and cannot genuflect, then bow.
 
Note though in some Eastern Catholic Churches the rubric is to give a profound bow before the Blessed Sacrament…

(when I attend go to an Eastern Liturgy or Church…I either genuflect (as a Roman…I hope such is ok for it contains the bow) or I bow …or both :))
You should always follow the customs and traditions of the parish you are in. So if you are in an Eastern parish, never genuflect or kneel especially on a Sunday.
 
Lately, I’ve seen people who come in and do a half of a half a knee and the sign of the cross super fast without actually touching their bodies. I guess at least its something though.
 
Lately, I’ve seen people who come in and do a half of a half a knee and the sign of the cross super fast without actually touching their bodies. I guess at least its something though.
Lately?

:whistle: I’ve been seeing that sort of thing for 45 years, at least. And that’s just about how far back I can really remember.
 
This is probably an easy question for most of you:

My RCIA teacher says it’s best to make a profound bow before entering the pew. Most people I see genuflect and even the book I’m reading to my children says to do this (“The Mass Book for Children” by Rosemarie Gortler & Donna Piscitelli).

So profound bow or genuflect?

Peace
it depends on your church. you genuflect in front of the tabernacle, and bow toward the altar. It is not simply because you are entering the pew. If you would be facing the tabernacle, then you genuflect. If you would be facing the altar,and the tabernacle is in another location, then you bow toward the altar. If you are unable to genuflect when it is appropriate, then bow. But don’t do the half curtesy with the knee dip. either genuflect or don’t, but not that half bob. same with kneeling. Either kneel, sit or stand, but don’t adopt a half-way combo posture. Either sit properly or kneel properly, the alternative is very unattractive.
 
it depends on your church. you genuflect in front of the tabernacle, and bow toward the altar. It is not simply because you are entering the pew. If you would be facing the tabernacle, then you genuflect. If you would be facing the altar,and the tabernacle is in another location, then you bow toward the altar. If you are unable to genuflect when it is appropriate, then bow. But don’t do the half curtesy with the knee dip. either genuflect or don’t, but not that half bob. same with kneeling. Either kneel, sit or stand, but don’t adopt a half-way combo posture. Either sit properly or kneel properly, the alternative is very unattractive.
When leaving I try so hard to kneel after leaving the pew but people stand in the way of me and run me over. I still kneel anyway so that perhaps they can see this example of what we should be doing in Church.
 
When leaving I try so hard to kneel after leaving the pew but people stand in the way of me and run me over. I still kneel anyway so that perhaps they can see this example of what we should be doing in Church.
You don’t want to kneel when you leave the pew. Either genuflect (one knee, not both knees) or bow.
 
You don’t want to kneel when you leave the pew. Either genuflect (one knee, not both knees) or bow.
Sorry I meant I genuflect with one knee not both. Although a chapel I go to I see this done with 2 knees before and after people go to the pews during adoration…I guess that’s wrong for them to to do? They go up right in front of the blessed sacrament and kneel on 2 knees for a few minutes then leave the chapel. I just do a normal one knee towards Jesus.
 
Sorry I meant I genuflect with one knee not both. Although a chapel I go to I see this done with 2 knees before and after people go to the pews during adoration…I guess that’s wrong for them to to do? They go up right in front of the blessed sacrament and kneel on 2 knees for a few minutes then leave the chapel. I just do a normal one knee towards Jesus.
When the blessed sacrament is exposed it used to be the rule (either officially or unofficially, I’m not sure) that we made a double genuflection on both knees. Now, the norm is just to genuflect as normal, although many people still do the double genuflection. I know that it still seems to be the unofficial “rule” in my own parish.
 
Alright, thanks brothers and sisters! 👍

Genuflect toward tabernacle - check!
Bow before altar - check!
Know what it really means - check!
Don’t just do it because you have to, do it because you love to - check!
When in Rome, do as the Romans do, and remember in the East, they’re not quite the same - check!
No half-a** wimpy type stuff, courage and honor, you’re a Catholic, act like one - check!

Peace
 
And today I went to Mass and figured out why my RCIA teacher says everyone in our parish shouldn’t be genuflecting - because the tabernacle is in the chapel, not in the sanctuary. So a profound bow to the altar it is! :bowdown2:

Peace
 
This is probably an easy question for most of you:

My RCIA teacher says it’s best to make a profound bow before entering the pew. Most people I see genuflect and even the book I’m reading to my children says to do this (“The Mass Book for Children” by Rosemarie Gortler & Donna Piscitelli).

So profound bow or genuflect? 🤷

Peace
Back when the altar and the Blessed Sacrament were co-located, it was the genuflection that took precedence. There was no bowing profound or otherwise.

Nowadays you bow to the altar where the sacrafice takes place and you still should genuflect to the Blessed Sacrament if it is located somewhere to the front.

Military chapels are a little different. The blessed sacrament is usually located at the rear of the chapel.
 
And today I went to Mass and figured out why my RCIA teacher says everyone in our parish shouldn’t be genuflecting - because the tabernacle is in the chapel, not in the sanctuary. So a profound bow to the altar it is! :bowdown2:

Peace
Good for you for figuring it out! 🙂 You are probably ahead of a lot of cradle Catholics in understanding now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top