U
urban-hermit
Guest
youtube.com/watch?v=tQ-3nBR6haI
Yes, that’s right, it’s Legos … but who else is promoting this great musician?!
Yes, that’s right, it’s Legos … but who else is promoting this great musician?!
Where exactly did you get that incredible generalization? I know I’ve heard Catholic nuns singing “Let It Be” by The Beatles before. How would they know how to sing it if they never listen to rock?if you want to learn how to be spiritual, you go to the masters of spirituality, people devoted to prayer: monks and nuns. You will NEVER hear them listening to rock. I wonder why?
I fail to see how a genre of music = not spiritual. no i dont want to listen to rock music in mass, but i don’t really want to hear sinatra either.if you want to learn football, you go to the masters of football and see what they do
if you want to learn music, you go to the masters of music and see what they do
if you want to learn math, you go to the masters of math, and see what they do
if you want to learn how to be spiritual, you go to the masters of spirituality, people devoted to prayer: monks and nuns. You will NEVER hear them listening to rock. I wonder why?
I do not promote “Christian/Catholic Rock” because it is an oxymoron and takes away from the spiritual life. You want to find God, seek him in the “cool of the day” as it says in Genesis, or in the silence and darkness of your room. Or if you are blessed with the ability to go a chapel with the Eucharist, in Adoration. But you won’t find God in rock.
Can’t you see you’re not making Christianity better, you’re just making rock n’ roll worse.
And that isn’t praying, nor it is doing anything for your soul.Where exactly did you get that incredible generalization? I know I’ve heard Catholic nuns singing “Let It Be” by The Beatles before. How would they know how to sing it if they never listen to rock?
Right, its not as clear cut as it appears.I fail to see how a genre of music = not spiritual. no i dont want to listen to rock music in mass, but i don’t really want to hear sinatra either.
jesus said to take the log out of your own eye before you take the speck out of anothers…![]()
So you’re saying that from sun up to sun down you need to spend it listening only to hymns and reading only Sacred Scripture and/or writings of the Saints? Any conversations must deal directly with spiritual matters? Sounds a bit fundamentalist.And that isn’t praying, nor it is doing anything for your soul.
catholicculture.org/library/view.cfm?recnum=7933
Consider Fr. Basil Nortz words on this matter.
I also suggest getting the talks for yourself:
opusangelorum.org/audio_conferences/music/audio_music_dw.htm
No, you take it to the other extreme. Its not me saying it, its a priest that got plenty of data to back it up. Why do you think we saw a degradation of morals in the 20th century while the popularity of rock/jazz/rap increased?So you’re saying that from sun up to sun down you need to spend it listening only to hymns and reading only Sacred Scripture and/or writings of the Saints? Any conversations must deal directly with spiritual matters? Sounds a bit fundamentalist.
We oughtta take the logs out of our own eyes before we take the specks out of others.
People tend to get a bit dramatic over this topic. If you don’t like it, don’t listen to it.
If you do buy those talks to Fr. Basil Nortz, “Music and Morality” you might be tempted to say, “Well, wait a minute, Swan Lake, was an amazing song?”. True, but Tchaikovsky was commissioned to play it, he did not compose it. His songs were dark that reflected his own interior battle.What would you say about listening to Tchaikovsky?
I’m saying that everyone is so quick to judge other people’s musical preferences and experimentation yet don’t look at their own attitudes. That’s not taking a verse out of context.Right, its not as clear cut as it appears.
You completely took that verse out of context btw.
again:
opusangelorum.org/audio_conferences/music/audio_music_dw.htm
In all honesty, Chaldean Rite, I take the belief that the problems that began in the 20th century had to do with the Church no longer praying to St Michael after Mass beginning in the 1960’s. I also believe 100% in Pope Leo XIII’s vision of the devil requesting more influence over more souls in the 20th century.No, you take it to the other extreme. Its not me saying it, its a priest that got plenty of data to back it up. Why do you think we saw a degradation of morals in the 20th century while the popularity of rock/jazz/rap increased?
again, this passage refers to sin, please stop using it out of context.
The lyrics are accidental to the music itself. Rock is music for the neck down. Good music is neck up; it moves the intellect, not channeling energy to the sexual organs. If you don’t believe me, go to a concert yourself. Why do you think they pass out condoms there?I’d say the moral degradation is reflected in the subjects and lyrics of the music, not the music itself.
Country is actually much better and ordered. You are not going to see a bunch of horny kids humping each other to country because it is not taken over by the rhythm.I only ever hear about people complaining about rock, jazz, and rap. What about country music?
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=257809
And about affecting the “intellect”. Your opinion seems to disagree with the claims of people who say that rock music affects your mind in the same way as drugs (which I have yet to see a study for either way).
Go listen to a country song and tell me it does not have strong rhythm. Or Shostakovich or Rimsky-Korsakov for that matter.Country is actually much better and ordered. You are not going to see a bunch of horny kids humping each other to country because it is not taken over by the rhythm.