J
jonk
Guest
True.
Well, you may think so but what they shared with their religious equivalents was a strong belief that they were right and that the people they were destroying were not only wrong but that their very existence was, in some way, a threat to whatever was the ultimate goal.General point regarding Mao and Stalin being considered “religious” atheists because their philosophies were dogmatic…
I wasn’t going as far as saying ‘nothing bad’, just ‘nothing monstrous’ in the sense of the thread. I did include believers in my set of ‘nothing monstrous’ as well! It’s the business of molding the world, whatever the cost, into some religious, or non-religious, model that would seem to me to be the problem.This spirit of indifferentism. You can say that nothing bad ever came from it. But nothing good ever did either.
Yep. And the laws we make based on those truths are mightily influential.It’s quite possible to proclaim ‘truths’ and live one’s life in accord with those ‘truths’ and be highly influential in the lives of others.
Moral relativism? I’m always uneasy with the use of “moral relativist!” as a weapon - far too often it seems to mean “if you don’t accept my/our precise set of precepts, understood in the way I/we understand them, you obviously believe in moral and cultural anarchy and spit-roasting puppies alive.”It is, however, moral relativism that truly enables dangerous ideologies.
Moral relativism? I’m always uneasy with the use of “moral relativist!” as a weapon - far too often it seems to mean “if you don’t accept my/our precise set of precepts, understood in the way I/we understand them, you obviously believe in moral and cultural anarchy and spit-roasting puppies alive.”
No, I think the problem with moral relativism is not that you might believe in moral and cultural anarchy, it’s that moral relativism does not offer a good defense against anarchy or spit-roasting puppies alive.It also seems to presume that moral absolutes are only available through belief in a deity, I rather doubt that.