Protection of priest and parishners

• Thread starter Thread starter southernman142
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

southernman142

The latest sexual abuse scandal certainly needs to be fixed. I believe now that a lot of priest and religous are having their careers and lives ruined by people with an ax to grind with the church. Some are mentally ill, and some are looking for a quick buck. Their are some, probably about fifty percent of the priest are quilty of this, but a good many aren’t. The bishop’s of the United States need to exhibit more leadership on this issue, and protect all parties, not just laymen.

40.png
southernman142:
probably about fifty percent of the priest are quilty of this, but a good many aren’t. The bishop’s of the United States need to exhibit more leadership on this issue, and protect all parties, not just laymen.
Are you trying to say that 50% of the U.S. priests have committed sex crimes? The official numbers are around less than 1%. And the Bishops have done enough, i think they realize it is an issue the Church has to and will deal with strongly, especially in the seminaries.

40.png
southernman142:
The latest sexual abuse scandal certainly needs to be fixed. I believe now that a lot of priest and religous are having their careers and lives ruined by people with an ax to grind with the church. Some are mentally ill, and some are looking for a quick buck. Their are some, probably about fifty percent of the priest are quilty of this, but a good many aren’t. The bishop’s of the United States need to exhibit more leadership on this issue, and protect all parties, not just laymen.

Originally posted by SeminarianDan:
Are you trying to say that 50% of the U.S. priests have committed sex crimes? The official numbers are around less than 1%. And the Bishops have done enough, i think they realize it is an issue the Church has to and will deal with strongly, especially in the seminaries.
I’m not sure if we’re talking about something new here (the disclosures about “religious” priests?), but I took this to mean the “scandal” that some of those being accused (50% per southernman’s estimate) may NOT be guilty at all. Perhaps you could elaborate?

It looks as if he meant that 50% of those accused may be guilty, the rest of the accusers are doing it for other reasons.

I don’t know about the rest of the US, but here in NY we have to go through a program called Protecting God’s Children. This has been instituted within the last year and is required training for everyone who deals with children within any Catholic organization. Coaches, teachers, volunteers, etc.

These scandals occur in all other faiths and groups. The Catholic church is just an easy target because of our beliefs and how those actions contradict them. Recently a teacher at a local Lutheran school (western NY) has been charged with sexually abusing children. Did anyone else see it on TV or national news? How about news reports about parents that abuse their own children. Is that on national news?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back