Protestant Ashes

  • Thread starter Thread starter Oblaidon
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Oblaidon

Guest
I went to a non-denominational protestant church to get my ashes today. Ash Wednesday is not a holy day of obligation, so I didn’t feel like I was breaking any rules. I am comfortable in my Catholic faith. I used to be Baptist 15 years ago, so I know the pitfalls. I went on my lunch break. My local church doesn’t offer Mass until 4pm. Going to this service seemed okay to do.

I just got back. I found it interesting. It seemed like they were lacking in something. Hmmmm, mostly people. Only four showed up. In the Catholic Church we are literally standing in the aisles at Ash Wednesday Mass.

We said one of the Psalms together. I kinda liked that. The service didn’t seem any more dynamic like I thought it would. Actually I felt like I was being a little deprived of the fullness of the Catholic religion.

I don’t feel the need to attend a Catholic Ash Wednesday Mass. I know I’ll get pounded on by the really hard core Catholics. Just thought I’d find out what you all think.
 
\The service didn’t seem any more dynamic like I thought it would.\

And why did you think it would be “dynamic”?

\Actually I felt like I was being a little deprived of the fullness of the Catholic religion.\

That’s because you were a LOT deprived of the fullness. Why else would the service not be dynamic?
 
Just watch out you don’t go to one of those evangelical denominations that practice “full-immersion” imposition of ashes. :eek:

:rotfl:
Just Kidding
tee
 
I thought Ash Wednesdays are only for Catholics, but, now I know that other religious groups also practice it. Anyway, how do they apply the ash on the forehead? Do they make a mark resembling the Sign of the Cross or do they just make a dot on the forehead? Please help.
 
yeah, the differences would be you missed the Eucharist & the absence of the Alleluja. Essentially, by making it to the Ash Wednesday service, you’re sorta making a commitment to beginning a good lenten period of fasting, reflection, etc.

I don’t really care to attend services at baptist churches. They tend to gig people (Catholics) on being over pious & pretentious, but then towards the end of a service, during a hymn, they have an altar call & you can kneel at the altar & put your hand on the altar to “get right with God” as they say…(in front of everyone so all can see…I wonder if they got their reward…lol)…if they can confess straight to God without a priest, then they should be able to “get right w. God” just as easily, one would assume…LOL! Baptist services to me are pretty much sing alongs with a few announcements of who’s in the hospital & who’s sick, & when the BBQ is taking place. I live in SC, so that’s what I’m up against, lol. I’m not being stereotypical either, I am basically giving a precis of what the baptist service curtailed when I attended one in October.
The best way I can describe it is like this:
I don’t put water in my cereal, so why water down faith? That’s all I’m sayin’. I’m not saying anything against your Ash Wednesday service, I’m just speaking from my own personal experience & my feelings that were involved.

THAT being said, Happy Ash Wednesday everyone!
 
At work I received blessing from a female presbyterian priest, had no option as I was quite involved at my job…very busy in Pediatric intensive care and no Catholic priest available…does it count? I feel good about it but curious if it is acceptable to Catholic teaching?
 
At work I received blessing from a female presbyterian priest,
Presbyterians do not have priests, female or otherwise. We should only approach those with valid Holy Orders to receive blessings, as they are the only ones who can give them.
had no option as I was quite involved at my job…very busy in Pediatric intensive care and no Catholic priest available…does it count?
“Count” as what? Only a person with Holy Orders can bless an object and make it a sacramental.

Ash Wednesday is not a holy day of obligation. Therefore, you were not required to attend Mass today, nor to receive ashes.
I feel good about it but curious if it is acceptable to Catholic teaching?
Sorry, I know you feel good about receiving the ashes-- and I know your heart was in the right place of wanting to receive them but not being able to easily go to a Catholic Church (not sure, did you check to see if there was a Mass when you were off work?) but Catholics are not to participate in services of non-Catholics giving the impression of indifferentism.

I think you’ve missed the bigger point that it’s not just about getting ashes from any old body, any old where we happen to be-- the ashes are given as a blessed sacramental in the context of the Mass with the specific purpose of anointing us with the blessed ashes. This is a liturgical rite in the Church and the ashes can only be blessed by one who has valid Holy Orders.
 
I thought Ash Wednesdays are only for Catholics, but, now I know that other religious groups also practice it. Anyway, how do they apply the ash on the forehead? Do they make a mark resembling the Sign of the Cross or do they just make a dot on the forehead? Please help.
Yes, much like Catholics, the minister crossed our foreheads and said, “From dust you came and to dust you will return”. For all I know a priest blessed the ashes first. The chapel is used by Catholics and protestants so that could be the case.

In the attempt of protestants returning back to the original Christian traditions they are becoming closer again to being Catholic. The more they except what we do the easier it will be to convert them back to the Church.

btw, being deprived of something on Ash Wednesday is a good thing I thought.
 
You certainly missed out in participating in the mass, but you’re right it’s not a holy day of obligation. As far as I know, you’re really not even required to get ashes. Personally I would have not gotten them at a protestant service, the Ashes are blessed, and I’m not sure whether or not this blessing requires a preist. If it does, then you missed out on receiving properly (and validly) blessed ashes.

But hey, at least you got them and it still serves as a sign as your desire to repent durring this lenten season right?
 
It was a non-denominational church I received my ashes. I remember from my Berean Baptist days for a calling to have a personal relationship with the Lord. A moment of being saved. I guess I am getting on all new subject though on the “Once saved always saved” topic.

Another thing I noticed. The trinity was never mentioned. God and Jesus, but no Holy Spirit. Yes, a little missing, but I think good for me to find out what my old “neighborhood” was doing.
 
Presbyterians do not have priests, female or otherwise. We should only approach those with valid Holy Orders to receive blessings, as they are the only ones who can give them.

“Count” as what? Only a person with Holy Orders can bless an object and make it a sacramental.

Ash Wednesday is not a holy day of obligation. Therefore, you were not required to attend Mass today, nor to receive ashes. the bigger point is I work in intensive care and was helping take care of numerous pts. on life support…no break for 12 hours and no time to go to mass, she calls herself a priest/ episcopalian? so non catholic can receive ash blessing…hows that?

Sorry, I know you feel good about receiving the ashes-- and I know your heart was in the right place of wanting to receive them but not being able to easily go to a Catholic Church (not sure, did you check to see if there was a Mass when you were off work?) but Catholics are not to participate in services of non-Catholics giving the impression of indifferentism.

I think you’ve missed the bigger point that it’s not just about getting ashes from any old body, any old where we happen to be-- the ashes are given as a blessed sacramental in the context of the Mass with the specific purpose of anointing us with the blessed ashes. This is a liturgical rite in the Church and the ashes can only be blessed by one who has valid Holy Orders.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top