Of course, but you said nothing about interpretation, you said you READ it differently. Yes, people can INTERPRET things differently, but word can only be READ as they appear on the page.
As I am sure you are aware, the words appear differently on many pages. I have 20 versions of scripture in my computer, and I can asure you that the words appear on most of them just a little bit different. Some more than others. You seem to be interested in epistomology, so I will take a moment to note something about the function of the human organism. When information enters our brain through the senses, the brain immediately interprets the data that comes from the nerve receptors, and constructs perceptions about it. Therefore, whenever we read, we interpret. If I do not know the language (I struggle a lot with the Hebrew alphabet) I can LOOK at the word as it appears on the page, but not be able to READ it. As soon as I READ it, interpretation occurs.
Code:
You seem to be confusing Catholic eisegesis with reading.
Catholics have no need of eisegesis. Catholics produced the NT, and there is nothing in it that is not consistent with Catholic teaching. The entire NT reflects what the Catholic Church believes and teaches.
You keep insisting, “Jesus SAID…” but you have yet to show where He said anything of the things The Catholic Church alone claims that He said, and that you keep affirming that He did.
You have made my point for me. Thanks!
When I read Jesus’ promises to the Church, I understand them from the point of view of what the Apostles believed and taught. When you read them, you understand them otherwise, so you do not see what I see. That is a matter of perception, which results from interpretation.
And, no, you cannot “read” where He did if there are no words of such to read. You are confusing the interpretation of one based on invisible words only that one can “see” with reading what is real.
I will concede that when you read your bible you do not perceive the Apostolic Teaching in it. You come from a faith tradition that separated itself from those Teachings about 500 years ago. In each generation, the divide separates a little further, until the Apostolic faith has become unrecognizable.
I suppose. Now, where is it substantiated that the Holy Spirit explains all these things exclusively, solely, particularly and perpetually to The Catholic Church and that it and it itself alone infallibly understands all these explanations?
It seems clear to me that my separated brethren have managed to cling to a great many of the Sacred Tradittions. That is why the Catholic Church teaches that the HS can use these ecclesial communities to draw people to Himself.
Code:
but then what is written by God is moot, what alone matters is what self alone says God whispered in the ear of self alone, which none (including self) can substantiate.
I think this is a great summary of the major flaw of Sola Scriptura.
Friend, READ what you quoted from me.
Originally Posted by Josiah
BUT The Catholic Church makes one stunning, remarkable, absolute and exclusive exception: itself. IT, it alone insists, is accountable only to God.
Did I miss something? I responded that the doctrines of the Church come from God. The Church is not in a position to hold God accountable for His own Teachings. Don’t you think that is awfully arrogant?
Code:
Yes. Do you think The Catholic Church teaches doctrine? **Ergo......**
Yes. this is part of her God given directive.
READ what you quoted from me.
Did you know that The LDS Church as well as virtually every single one of the cults claims EXACTLY the same thing?
Yes.
Code:
Do you regard such to be sound epistemology, the best way to determine if the LDS and all those cults are correct? You are going to GREAT lengths to defend that epistemology, you must think it the most sound.
I think the best way to discern what is True is to receive Truth from God, who is Truth.
You seem to think that Truth is better served when it comes through your fallible human filters.
Code:
I don't understand how that is a response to what you quoted from me.
You seem very invested in stating that the Catholic Church has no…
what are you trying to accomplish in making all these denials of the Catholic Church? If the Church has no merit, why are you investing so much effort to insist this is the case? Do you honestly think that you are going to pursuade those of us who have received the faith from the Apsostles that your repudiations should cause us to abandon it?
No, we don’t.
You are simply removing words and replacing them with others, confusing teaching with learning, leading with following.
If you believe this, then this is proof that we understand the contents of the NT differently. when I read it, I see that Jesus gave authority to His Apsotles, and they to their successors. When you read it, you see something different. I think you just proved my point again, thanks!
Code:
You are imposing "The Catholic Church" into texts where such doesn't exist. You are inserting "infallible" and "unaccountable" where those words don't exist.
As I said, there is no need to impose, or insert. The NT was written by, for, and about the Catholic faith. There is nothing in it that is inconsistent with Catholic Teaching, because they both come from the same Source, which is Christ.
Code:
You seem to not know what is real and what is not, what is there and what isn't.
Do you think if I saw things the way you do, I would know what is real, and what is not?
Code:
And inserting invisable INTO the text so that you can claim to "read" them is not reading; deleting words that are there and inserting words that are not there so you can claim to "read" the unreal is not reading.
It seems that you don’t beleive it is possible to understand the text from the point of view of the Apostles. Or, maybe you assume that, when you read it, YOU have the point of view of the Apostles. Is that the case?
Then your whole point about Jesus promising to teach all things and to lead us is entirely moot, isn’t it?
It is not moot to those who are in unity with the Apsotolic succession. this promise being made to them, and being inherited by those in communion with them, we can be confident that we are being led into all Truth when we embrace His teachings that He has preserved infallibly in the Church.
Code:
It all comes down to one thing: The claim of The Catholic Church alone for The Catholic Church alone.
I think you say things like this because you have a deficient view of the nature of Church.
Code:
What Jesus said/promised/authorized is all moot, isn't it? Seems so.
Well, we read it differently, don’t we?
