I’m trying to learn more about where we got the Bible. It’s an area of our faith in that my knowledge is really lacking. As I am currently discussing these matters with a protestant, I am trying to get ahead of her and learn by finding the answers to the questions she’s most likely to ask. I found this site. What do you make of some of its claims?
bible.ca/catholic-questions.htm
Hello,
Here are some recommendations
P.R. Ackroyd & C.F. Evans, eds., Cambridge History of the Bible, 3 vol. (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1963-1970) paperback. Dated, but valuable articles.
Paul M. Blowers, The Bible in Greek Christian Antiquity (Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame Press, 1997).
Harry Y. Gamble, Books and Readers in the Early Church: A History of Early Christian Texts (New Haven: Yale, 1995) paperback, $25. A superb and original study of how early books were made, collected, and used.
Christine Helmer and Christof Landmesser, eds., One Scripture or Many?: Canon from Biblical, Theological, and Philosophical Perspectives (New York: Oxford University Press, 2004) hardcover, $95.
Larry W. Hurtado, The Earliest Christian Artifacts: Manuscripts and Christian Origins (Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 2006) paperback, $20
James L. Kugel & Rowan A. Greer, Early Biblical Interpretation, Library of Early Christianity 3 (Philadelphia: Westminster, 1986).
Joseph T. Lienhard, The Bible, the Church, and Authority: the Canon of the Christian Bible in History and Theology (Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 1995) paperback, $18.
Bruce Metzger, The Canon of the New Testament: Its Origin, Development, and Significance (New York: Clarendon / Oxford University Press, 1987) paperback, $20.
Bruce Metzger, The Early Versions of the New Testament: Their Origins, Transmission, and Limitations (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1977) hardcover, $45
happy reading.
I will give you a link to a great bibligraphy put together by a Catholic priest at Creighton University that is nicely divided under different subject matter. It has been extremely helpful in my studies.
John