Originally Posted by JaneFrances
So, logical necessity is the final rule of faith???
Sola Scriptura does not mean there has to be an explicit teaching of something in Scripture for it to be true.
Sure, you prefer this meaning of Sola Scripture. But, aren’t there other meaings which would challenge this? How about, for instance, the meaning espoused by Alexander Campbell, “Where the Scriptures speak, we speak; where the Scriptures are silent, we are silent.” Through his understanding of the meaning of Sola Scriptura, he rejected infant Baptism as, for him, Scripture was the final authority on the matter because it was silent.
Something can be taught in Scripture based “good and necessary consequence”( this is stated in the Westminster Confession of Faith ).
Okay, but once again we are challenged to question the authority of the Westminster Confession. Why do you believe the Westminster Confession is correct? It seems to always return to the issue of AUTHORITY. You keep claiming that Scripture is your final authority, yet you are depending upon Confessions, your faith tradition, and your own logic to prove it as Scripture, itself does not claim final authority.
For example the dual natures of Christ is not an explicit teaching in Scripture, but it is arrived at based good and necessary consequence. Well, I believe the same is true for sola Scriptura. So the documentation I would offer for sola Scriptura is the Scriptures.
Is your documentation the fact that Scriptures exist? Or, is your documentation found within Sacred Scripture? To be specific, is there Scripture which provides documentation to prove Sola Scriptura, according to your preferred definition?
As I have said before sola Scriptura means the Scripture are the only infallible rule of faith for the church.
Right. And as I have asked before, how do you know this beyond your own logic and tradition?
Now this simple definition leads to other truth, such as it must be the final arbiter in disputes, because it alone is infallible.
Here is where I find a major contention. I thought, through Sacred Scripture, we are told that the Church is the final arbiter in disputes (see Matt. 18). Of course, for this to be true, one would also have to know which Church, which opens up a whole 'nother bag of worms. But, suffice it to say, you haven’t proven that Scriptures “must be the final arbiter in disputes” as 1) such a doctrine is unScriptural and 2) Scripture is silent on numerous matters.
It has to be the highest authority, because it is God speaking and nothing can be higher than the words of God himself.
This is only based on your faulty presupposition that our only knowledge of God’s Word is from Sacred Scripture.
Therefore, if there is nothing else that can be proven to be on par with Scripture it logically follows that sola Scriptura is true.
Let’s be clear. Scripture is true. Scripture is God’s Word. But, Scripture is not the only truth and it is not exclusively God’s Word. Your logic only works if this premise is true, which it is not.
Now to refute my argument one has to show that there is another source of equal or greater authority in the church then the word of God in Scripture.
I would offer that the Church, through the witness of Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition, is the “pillar and bullwark of truth” (1 Tim 3:15). I would offer that Christ established a Church as His Body. I would offer that Christ’s Church, through the teaching authority of the apostles, is the entrusted steward of His Word. I would offer that His Word comes to us through word of mouth and letter, so that Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture are on par as two fonts from the same wellspring.
Now, a discussion of prima Scriptura versus sola Scriptura would be a great one. As would a discussion of the material and formal sufficiency of Sacred Scripture.