J
jennyhay
Guest
I would like recommendations on the best protestant defenses of sola scriptura. Length and level of difficulty are not issues. I want to know the most compelling arguments out there.
Thanks
Thanks
Of course, they don’t accept when I tell them it says All Scripture is profitable, not Only Scripture is profitable.2Ti 3:16 All scripture, inspired of God, is profitable to teach, to reprove, to correct, to instruct in justice:
Jesus told them to preach and teach, He never said “Go give everyone a copy of the Holy Scriptures and let them figure it out for themselves. Oh and by the way, when I give you the inspiration for the New testament, everything you teach can be ignored, since what I want everyone to know and do will be written down for them.”Mar 16:15 And he said to them: Go ye into the whole world and preach the gospel to every creature.
My whole guide for getting through this life the best way I can and live as God would want me to is the Holy Bible.
Blue Serenity:2 Timothy 3:16-17
16
All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
17
so that one who belongs to God may be competent, equipped for every good work.
This spells it out in black and white for me.![]()
Of course, the scripture the author is referring to is HEBREW SCRIPTURE, also known as the Old Testament.
Pax Christi
Mathison’s book is probably the best Protestant defense of sola scriptura in print. As a Catholic response, I’d recommend Robert Sungenis’ text, Not By Scripture Alone: A Catholic Critique of the Protestant Doctrine of Sola Scriptura.I have read Dave Armstrong’s books, so I’m familiar with the basic arguments. I guess I’m looking for the best that Protestantism has to offer, so that I can be prepared. For example, this book by Mathison looks half-way thoughtful.
amazon.com/o/ASIN/1885767749/ref=pd_rvi_gw_2/002-0197885-2808874
Anything better?
Actually, Luther did respond directly to Erasmus on the issue of free will and predestination. Luther’s rejoinder is a book by the name of “The Bondage of the Will”.conceived. Luther decided Church tradition was no longer valid, and that the essentials of the faith were to be found only in the Bible. The Bible held forth the promises of the Psalmist and Paul, both of whom said that if the believer simply BELIEVED, eg, had iron faith, he would be saved. That’s what it all comes down to. Of course, Luther ignored the parts of the Bible that contradicted Paul, such as the Book of James, which he hated. Luther was an illogical thinker. When Erasmus pinned him down on the issue of predestination, Luther broke off the disputation and fell silent. It was the only disputation he lost, and one that even today defines the basic psychological differences between Catholics and Protestants. Erasmus argued that if God had already chosen the saved before creating Man, Luther’s ‘theology of the cross’ made no sense. Jesus’ death had no purpose. Luther had no response.![]()
Where do you people come up with these names? It’s not in the bible is it? So why discuss it?I would like recommendations on the best protestant defenses of sola scriptura. Length and level of difficulty are not issues. I want to know the most compelling arguments out there.
Thanks
LOL! I see your profile says you are a Bible Christian. So I guess that means you’re a Catholic. Since the Bible does not state that the Bible is the sole rule of faith (sola Scriptura), a Bible Christian is not interested in discussing it. Good point.Where do you people come up with these names? It’s not in the bible is it? So why discuss it?
The doctrine of sola scriptura is not in the Bible. So why do people believe it?Where do you people come up with these names? It’s not in the bible is it? So why discuss it?
Has Rev. Sproul written any books on the subject?R. C. Sproul – a well respected sola Scriptura/sola fide Presbyterian, makes a simple argument: up until the canon was closed in the 4th Century, we needed the Church but after that, the pillars were no longer needed and Scripture could stand above everything as the sole rule of faith.
If you go to his web site: www.ligonier.org (I think), you should find tracts and books on it. Sproul has the advantage of many self-proclaimed Bible Christians in that he actually understands that the Church is responsible for defining the canon. He won’t use the words “Catholic Church” but he certainly knows that there was only one game in town (not counting heretics), and that it was the Church from which the New Testament emerged.Has Rev. Sproul written any books on the subject?
Arguably the best “first post” ever.Where do you people come up with these names? It’s not in the bible is it? So why discuss it?