**Jesus had not yet instituted the Lord’s Supper in John 6; therefore, He is talking metaphorically.
**
If the gospel of John was the only book of the bible, you might have a point. But it’s not! Each book of the N.T. supplements the other books. John speaks of things, the other writers do not, and visa versa. When Jesus “instituted the Lord’s Supper” in the Synoptic Gospels, the Apostles, without doubt would have recalled His exposition on the Body (bread) and Blood (wine) of Jesus Christ. Jesus, in His 3 year ministry surely said many things that are not in our bible, and I am certain He expounded on the doctrine that was too tough for some Jews to believe!
Furthermore, why does He have to be speaking metaphorically, just because these words weren’t said at the last supper? He certainly uses literal words. In regard to eating flesh and drinking blood, the word used to eat is trogo, which means to “gnaw, crunch, chew. Nothing symbolical about that! We know that water is a symbol of the H.S. --that the water and blood that came from the side of Jesus is a symbol of the Church –that anointing is a symbol, which signifies the H.S. --that fire is a symbol of the H.S. --etc etc. But the words, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him. —clearly are not symbols of something else!
When Jesus did “institute the last supper” in the synoptic gospels, He failed to mention some things found in John’s last supper scenario:
*The Advocate, the holy Spirit that the Father will send in my name–he will teach you everything and remind you of all that (I) told you.
*
“If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.”
And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also.
In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?
So, should I disregard those things John spoke of, simply because they are not spoken of in the synoptic gospels, or in Paul’s writings? The N.T. is synergistic: the total effect is greater than the sum of the individual effects. It is a cooperative effort!
It’s an extension of what He told the woman at the well, in John 4, where He said He could give her living water, so that she would never thirst again.
Clearly this is a metaphor. The woman, as all devout Christians, believe that Jesus is the giver of living water, (Holy Spirit) so that we will never thirst again. But, we all still continue to thirst, and we will, until we are with Jesus!
**Just as manna fed the Israelites in the wilderness, so does Jesus’ body and blood “feed” us here below. The gospel message is this “food” that Jesus gives us, through word and sacrament.
**
If the “good news” is the food we must eat (gnaw/chew), why doesn’t Jesus just say the gospel is the food to which He is referring? Instead He does the following:
And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them saying: “This is My Body given for you, do this in remembrance of Me.” In the same way, after the supper He took the cup, saying: “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.”
No mention of the “gospel message.”
Jesus is bread. Jesus, the bread, came down from heaven, sent by His Father. Whoever “eats” this bread, that is, believes in Jesus, has eternal life with Him.
Why didn’t Jesus simply say, who ever believes in me, in lieu of, whoever “eats” this bread has eternal life with Him; it sure would have cleared things up vis-a-vis the whole literal/metaphorical issue.
**Furthermore, the Jews had recognized figurative flesh and figurative blood. The OT feasts and sacrifices were shadows; Jesus was the reality. **
Those animal weren’t figuratively sacrificed; they were actually/literally killed and eaten, as nourishment for the carnal body —And, as a sin offering, and yes, Jesus was/is the reality of all those inept sacrifices…