Later in John, Jesus tells the Apostles that up to that time He had spoken to them in figurative language, indicating that figurative language was the usual, not the exception.
You must read this in context! What is He talking about? What are “these things”?
**16"A little while, and you will no longer see Me; and again a little while, and you will see Me."
17Some of His disciples then said to one another, “What is this thing He is telling us, ‘A little while, and you will not see Me; and again a little while, and you will see Me’; and, ‘because I go to the Father’?”
18So they were saying, “What is this that He says, ‘A little while’? We do not know what He is talking about.”
19Jesus knew that they wished to question Him, and He said to them, “Are you deliberating together about this, that I said, ‘A little while, and you will not see Me, and again a little while, and you will see me’?
20"Truly, truly, I say to you, that you will weep and lament, but the world will rejoice; you will grieve, but your grief will be turned into joy.
21"Whenever a woman is in labor she has pain, because her hour has come; but when she gives birth to the child, she no longer remembers the anguish because of the joy that a child has been born into the world.
22"Therefore you too have grief now; but will see you again, and your heart will rejoice, and no one will take your joy away from you.
23"In that day you will not question Me about anything Truly, truly, I say to you, if you ask the Father for anything in My name, He will give it to you.
24"Until now you have asked for nothing in My name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be made full.
25"These things I have spoken to you in figurative language;an hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figurative language, but will tell you plainly of the Father. **
** 27for the Father Himself loves you, because you have loved Me and have believed that I came forth from the Father.
28"I came forth from the Father and have come into the world; I am leaving the world again and going to the Father.”
29His disciples said, "Lo, now You are speaking plainly and are not using a figure of speech. **
In the Last Supper discourse, He used figurative language (i.e. woman in labor, etc.). Secondly, when He
has used figurative language before, He has explained what He meant and thus indicated that He was speaking figuratively. As this passage inidcates, Jesus explicitly reveals when He does speak using a figure of speech.
God Bless,
Michael