Hi, interesting questions:
- Were you raised Catholic?
Yes.
- How did God lead you to believe the Catholic faith is true?
Through various means: prayer, study, the experience of the Church in my life, just the overall intuition (?) of “sense” that looking at the world through Catholic eyes makes to me.
Initially through the merits of Christ’s salvific activity and the grace to accept those merits through faith, work and the sacraments throughout my life, entering more deeply into the Body of Christ and becoming part of the covenantal family of God.
- In what way is the Protestant deceived (I use this word purposely because one would have to be to reject the claim that the catholic church is the only true Church, which is Christ, and to deny Him is to deny salvation…found in repentance, baptism and Eucharist. Paraphrasing from the catholic website).
I wouldn’t say “deceived” necessary, for that implies a deceiver, where there may be none. Ignorance is involved too. Nevertheless, I think fundamentally some Protestants don’t fully understand the - and this is going to sound strange -
culture of Christianity. Having also had experience with Orthodox Christianity, you begin to realise the faith isn’t so much about reading your Bible, believing propositions about Christ, having evidence for the Resurrection, etc. but more about being part of a mystical family. I can go into more detail if you life.
- What is your favorite Bible verse?
John 16:31-33:
Jesus answered them, "Do you now believe? The hour is coming, indeed it has come, when you will be scattered, every man to his home, and will leave me alone; yet I am not alone, for the Father is with me. I have said this to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."
and John 21:21-22:
When Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, “Lord, what about this man?” Jesus said to him, "If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? Follow me!"
- What is your favorite quote by a saint?
Probably from Aquinas: God asks St Thomas what he will have as his reward for his hard work, prayer and life, and Thomas replies in a heartfelt way, “Only Thyself Lord!”
Or Augustine: “Thou hast made us for thyself, and our hearts are restless until they rest in Thee!”
- Is the Bible all sufficient for your faith?
If by this you mean that is the Bible all one needs for being a fulfilled Christian, the answer is no. As mentioned above, Christianity is about being part of a family. With the Bible alone, it’s analogous as having a family history book. Good and edifying and necessary to read to understand the family but it doesn’t make you part of the family.
- “I place in you all my hopes; I confide my salvation to your care.” Can this prayer be said to Mary?
It depends what you mean by it. If you mean, “I know you are my saviour so I trust fully in you” the answer is “No”. If you mean, “I trust that you will help bring me to salvation, and so I trust you fully (that is, honestly and completely)” the answer is “Yes”. As the Body of Christ, we help one another towards salvation through Christ. This is more true of the Blessed Virgin than anyone, since (i) she is his mother (!!!), (ii) she is very close to him, (iii) she lived such a fulfilled and holy life, and (iv) she is more fully in his presence than any other saint.
Hope that helps!
God bless.