C
CreekCrawler
Guest
So, the conversation started when a Catholic threw out the old ‘30,000 different protestant churches’ argument. Then the Protestant said Catholics disagree on doctrine too…
Well, obviously I had to chime in at this point and with all of the confidence in the world state that ALL faithful Catholics agree upon the doctrines found in the Catechism… to which he replied with the following arguments:
Many Catholics hold to different doctrines of grace, and thus different views on soteriology. Using NewAdvent.org as his reference, he cited Thomism, Molinism, Augustinianism, Congruism and Syncretism all as different Catholic systems of grace.
newadvent.org/cathen/06710a.htm
Secondly, he noted that Eastern rite Catholics reject “transubstantiation” and yet are still Catholic. I thought this must be a mistake, but upon doing a little searching it does seem that the Byzantine and other Eastern rite Churches indeed take issue with the term. This is problematic to my argument since the CCC ( 1376 ) states clearly " This change the holy Catholic Church has fittingly and properly called transubstantiation."
( how can eastern rite Catholics reject what is in the Catechism and remain Catholic ? )
The same goes for Purgatory. The CCC 1031 clearly teaches that the CHURCH holds purgatory to be doctrine, yet the Eastern rite clearly take issue with this as well.
And yet again the Eastern rite takes issue with the Latin rite concerning Original sin.
I’m a little taken aback by this. I was under the impression that All Catholics agree on the doctrines outlined in the Catechism… but it seems this is not so. What am I missing here ? It certainly SEEMS that Catholics do indeed separate over doctrinal differences much like protestants ( though obviously not to the same magnitude ), How can this be ?
Well, obviously I had to chime in at this point and with all of the confidence in the world state that ALL faithful Catholics agree upon the doctrines found in the Catechism… to which he replied with the following arguments:
Many Catholics hold to different doctrines of grace, and thus different views on soteriology. Using NewAdvent.org as his reference, he cited Thomism, Molinism, Augustinianism, Congruism and Syncretism all as different Catholic systems of grace.
newadvent.org/cathen/06710a.htm
Secondly, he noted that Eastern rite Catholics reject “transubstantiation” and yet are still Catholic. I thought this must be a mistake, but upon doing a little searching it does seem that the Byzantine and other Eastern rite Churches indeed take issue with the term. This is problematic to my argument since the CCC ( 1376 ) states clearly " This change the holy Catholic Church has fittingly and properly called transubstantiation."
( how can eastern rite Catholics reject what is in the Catechism and remain Catholic ? )
The same goes for Purgatory. The CCC 1031 clearly teaches that the CHURCH holds purgatory to be doctrine, yet the Eastern rite clearly take issue with this as well.
And yet again the Eastern rite takes issue with the Latin rite concerning Original sin.
I’m a little taken aback by this. I was under the impression that All Catholics agree on the doctrines outlined in the Catechism… but it seems this is not so. What am I missing here ? It certainly SEEMS that Catholics do indeed separate over doctrinal differences much like protestants ( though obviously not to the same magnitude ), How can this be ?