G
Glennonite
Guest
What and why are there differences in the Catholic and Protestant versions of the Ten Commandments?
Glennonite
Glennonite
I’m not sure it had much to do with ‘zinging’ the Catholics or anyone else, but rather with interpretation.Protestants changed the first and second commandments in their Bibles in order to zing the Catholics about “graven images.”
Thanks “Industrial Strength”. I guess it’s all about the numbering; all three versions seem to say the same thing.The original Ten Commandments were not numbered; they were separated (paragraphed). Numbering started when the printing press was invented.
Protestants changed the first and second commandments in their Bibles in order to zing the Catholics about “graven images.”
Jewish
Catholic (short version)
Protestant
Jim Dandy
What reason do you suppose Protestants had for changing the understanding of the ten commandments from the Jewish and Catholic interpretations that had endured until the 16th century? They Protest-ed everything Catholic, every way they could. Their war against “graven images” continues to this day. *Second Commandment: *Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven images! The bronze serpent Moses was commanded by God to make (Numbers 21:8-9, John 3:14-15, as well as other God-ordered “graven images”) is ignored.I’m not sure it had much to do with ‘zinging’ the Catholics or anyone else, but rather with interpretation.
Some ultra-conservative sects such as the Amish do not condone photography, in the fear that even photographs might be considered 'graven images" (rotoGRAVure?).
But from the context it seems obvious that the prosciption is against IDOLS, such as the infamous golden calf.
It’s about the numbering, which reinforces the Protestant interpretation. That’s why the numbering was changed.Thanks “Industrial Strength”. I guess it’s all about the numbering; all three versions seem to say the same thing.
Glennonite
Here’s what I remember from a Mass when I was a kid: The very purpose of the graven image of the serpent was to show the people, to remind the people the reason why they were being bitten by snakes. They were disobedient and sinful. This image was raised up upon a pole; when they saw it, they were reminded of their need to turn back to God.What reason do you suppose Protestants had for changing the understanding of the ten commandments from the Jewish and Catholic interpretations that had endured until the 16th century? They Protest-ed everything Catholic, every way they could. Their war against “graven images” continues to this day. *Second Commandment: *Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven images! The bronze serpent Moses was commanded by God to make (Numbers 21:8-9, John 3:14-15, as well as other God-ordered “graven images”) is ignored.
I learned “Catholics make and worship idols” with my ABCs.
Jim Dandy
Former Protestant
Hey, I’m Catholic and I don’t take photos to avoid breaking the 2nd commandment. Neither do strict Muslims or Jews. Better to be on the safe side.I’m not sure it had much to do with ‘zinging’ the Catholics or anyone else, but rather with interpretation.
Some ultra-conservative sects such as the Amish do not condone photography, in the fear that even photographs might be considered 'graven images" (rotoGRAVure?).
But from the context it seems obvious that the prosciption is against IDOLS, such as the infamous golden calf.
Doesn’t ‘graven’ mean carved (in stone)? i.e. statues? I think photos, digital photos, TV pictures, these things:Hey, I’m Catholic and I don’t take photos to avoid breaking the 2nd commandment. Neither do strict Muslims or Jews. Better to be on the safe side.
I think some icons are OK, as long as they are not intended a pictorial images.
Scripture is pretty clear.
LOL! If you’re Catholic, that would involve the FIRST commandment.Hey, I’m Catholic and I don’t take photos to avoid breaking the 2nd commandment.
Not the reason that you suggest, nor am I certain that Jewish scripture numbers the commandmemts one by one, but I will ask my wife’s rabbi and report back to you.What reason do you suppose Protestants had for changing the understanding of the ten commandments from the Jewish and Catholic interpretations that had endured until the 16th century?
Nuh-uh. The ‘Protestant’ (sic) division of the Commandments - more properly called the Philonic Division - actually has quite an ancient pedigree: in fact, it is found in the writings of Philo and Josephus, who both employ this reckoning long before Protestantism even existed.Protestants changed the first and second commandments in their Bibles in order to zing the Catholics about “graven images.”
To be more accurate, it is a difference between the Catholic Church and Lutherans (Augustinian Division) and most non-Lutheran Protestants and the Eastern Orthodox Church (Philonic Division) and Jews (Talmudic Division).It is not accurate to divide it between that Catholic and Protestant numbering of the decalogue. Some of the Protestants use the same numbering as The Catholic Church. The Anglicans, Lutherans and a few other Protestant denominations use that same numbering as The Catholic Church. So it would be more accurate to say the difference is between the Catholics and some Protestants.
=Glennonite;8008719]What and why are there differences in the Catholic and Protestant versions of the Ten Commandments?
Good question:thumbsup:Glennonite
I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. [7] "You shall have no other gods before me.You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; [9] you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, [10] but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments. [11] "You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain: for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.Observe the sabbath day, to keep it holy, as the LORD your God commanded you. [13] Six days you shall labor, and do all your work; [14] but the seventh day is a sabbath to the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, or your manservant, or your maidservant, or your ox, or your ***, or any of your cattle, or the sojourner who is within your gates, that your manservant and your maidservant may rest as well as you. [15] You shall remember that you were a servant in the land of Egypt, and the LORD your God brought you out thence with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm; therefore the LORD your God commanded you to keep the sabbath day. [16] "Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God commanded you; that your days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with you, in the land which the LORD your God gives you.You shall not kill. [18] "Neither shall you commit adultery.Neither shall you steal. [20] "Neither shall you bear false witness against your neighbor.