Proverbs 31 and Titus 2

  • Thread starter Thread starter helenshabitat
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

helenshabitat

Guest
**Proverbs 31 and Titus 2 are very popular chapters in the Bible being studied by women to understand better God’s instructions for how Christian women are to live.

I’m looking to start a discussion with Catholic women and our leaders here as to what these 2 chapters mean to us and what the overall picture of a Catholic woman is.

Thanks so much in advance for joining this discussion!

I will make separate posts with my own questions, discoveries,etc.**
 
If it’s true that Proverbs 31 was written as an acrostic to each letter of the Hebrew alphabet then I suspect that it was written that way to be easy to memorize. I can imagine women a few thousand years ago, raising daughters and using these poems/songs to teach their girls virtues. I know that I still remember a Girl Scout song about friendship and I am 38 years old!

So is that true that it was written as an acrostic to be a mnemonic device in the instruction of young ladies?

Was this something that Mary would have learned as she was being prepared for womanhood and possibly marriage? (Even though we believe she made a vow of chastity, she would have been prepared as she was growing up to be a woman and for the duties of marriage I assume)

Can you imagine the difference between what the maturity and behavior expecations were of an 11 year old girl 2,000 years ago compared to today?!

And please jump in and correct me where I am wrong or share what you know or what you are thinking about. Thanks!

acrostic
–noun
1.
a series of lines or verses in which the first, last, or other particular letters when taken in order spell out a word, phrase, etc.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top