Public school teacher anti Catholic?

  • Thread starter Thread starter stcalixtus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Clinton was impeached and it happend after losing the election? Both are news to me.
That was my typo. The year was 1998.

Yes, he was impeached. The word refers to the procedure, not the outcome. Both he and president A. Johnson were acquitted.

Nor did he lose the 2000 election; in fact, had he been able to run he would have won in a landslide, and probably in 2004 also.
 
Don’t over react. Remember that kids sometimes don’t listen carefully enough, don’t understand, or just like to push a parent’s hot buttons.

It is probably a good opportunity to be honest and openly discuss the personal failures of Catholic clergy. It happens, they are human. With 2,000 years of history, hundreds of popes, countless bishops and priests - of course there are stories. Even the apostles were not perfect. People unfortunately tend to focus on failures (or what they think are failures) while ignoring everything else. If it helps, point out that even the pope receives the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

Even if your daughter’s class was not disparaging the Church, others will so she should have a framework in which to place such remarks. Perhaps this is a “teaching moment”.

Putting aside human frailty, I would focus on the faith as the truth and the Church as a direct gift to us from Jesus.
 
My thirteen year old daughter stated that her history teacher or book? stated that centuries ago priests asked Catholics to pay for salvation:o
I guess I am confused here. Are you suggesting that no priese asked Catholics to buy indulgences?
 
Don’t over react. Remember that kids sometimes don’t listen carefully enough, don’t understand, or just like to push a parent’s hot buttons.

It is probably a good opportunity to be honest and openly discuss the personal failures of Catholic clergy. It happens, they are human. With 2,000 years of history, hundreds of popes, countless bishops and priests - of course there are stories. Even the apostles were not perfect. People unfortunately tend to focus on failures (or what they think are failures) while ignoring everything else. If it helps, point out that even the pope receives the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

Even if your daughter’s class was not disparaging the Church, others will so she should have a framework in which to place such remarks. Perhaps this is a “teaching moment”.

Putting aside human frailty, I would focus on the faith as the truth and the Church as a direct gift to us from Jesus.
good advice, thanks
 
I guess I am confused here. Are you suggesting that no priest asked Catholics to buy indulgences?
sharmin, I understand, and that’s why I suggested that possibly the child misunderstood what either the book or the teacher said, or that the teacher may have been confused about Church history and doctrine.

Buying indulgences was not buying salvation for either the buyer or the departed loved one, but the promise of deliverance from purgatory.

Strictly speaking, of course, it is not even possible to buy or sell indulgences; since indulgences are assigned by the Church to certain prayers which may be said in place of public penance.

The abuse of this practice in order to raise money for the Church was one factor which led to the so-called Protestant Reformation, and it is certainly possible that a world history book would include this, but it is unlikely that it would be presented in terms of ‘paying for salvation’, nor has any contributor to this thread given any citation in support of that assertion.
 
sharmin, I understand, and that’s why I suggested that possibly the child misunderstood what either the book or the teacher said, or that the teacher may have been confused about Church history and doctrine.

Buying indulgences was not buying salvation for either the buyer or the departed loved one, but the promise of deliverance from purgatory.

Strictly speaking, of course, it is not even possible to buy or sell indulgences; since indulgences are assigned by the Church to certain prayers which may be said in place of public penance.

The abuse of this practice in order to raise money for the Church was one factor which led to the so-called Protestant Reformation, and it is certainly possible that a world history book would include this, but it is unlikely that it would be presented in terms of ‘paying for salvation’, nor has any contributor to this thread given any citation in support of that assertion.
Ahhh. I see. And I agree with you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top