T
tassitus
Guest
Often on *Catholic Answers *radio, and occasionally on these forums, when mention is made of purgatory there is quite often some *durational *aspect involved (or at least implied). As in “spending time” in a “place” known as purgatory.
Now, I don’t have too much trouble with the concept of “place” after death, or at least my idea of purgatory does not add any additional problems, for me, to the general mystery of where, spatially (?), we may go after death (if 3-dimensional “space” even has any meaning at that point).
But the durational aspect does strike me as inaccurate in that once we die we are most certainly beyond time. How, then, can we speak of post-death “time” or “duration” at all?
Isn’t purgatory just the process (I would say instantaneous process, but will this have any meaning when all “instances” are present before us?) by which we undergo a final purification, such purification being necessary because, as Scripture teaches, nothing unclean will enter the presence of God in heaven (Rev. 21:27)?
The *Catechism of the Catholic Church *defines purgatory as a “purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven,” which is experienced by those “who die in God’s grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified” (CCC 1030). And I most certainly believe in purgatory (thanking God for it, 'cause I sure anticipate needing the process…!).
But need we drag our human concept of “time” (or “space”) along with us after death? I just don’t see the need, or that it helps in explaining it to others.
Peace all.
Now, I don’t have too much trouble with the concept of “place” after death, or at least my idea of purgatory does not add any additional problems, for me, to the general mystery of where, spatially (?), we may go after death (if 3-dimensional “space” even has any meaning at that point).
But the durational aspect does strike me as inaccurate in that once we die we are most certainly beyond time. How, then, can we speak of post-death “time” or “duration” at all?
Isn’t purgatory just the process (I would say instantaneous process, but will this have any meaning when all “instances” are present before us?) by which we undergo a final purification, such purification being necessary because, as Scripture teaches, nothing unclean will enter the presence of God in heaven (Rev. 21:27)?
The *Catechism of the Catholic Church *defines purgatory as a “purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven,” which is experienced by those “who die in God’s grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified” (CCC 1030). And I most certainly believe in purgatory (thanking God for it, 'cause I sure anticipate needing the process…!).
But need we drag our human concept of “time” (or “space”) along with us after death? I just don’t see the need, or that it helps in explaining it to others.
Peace all.