P
Patch21
Guest
Hi all, I apologise if I’ve posted this in the wrong place (it’s my first thread)!
I’ve been reading up on the above and I just don’t think that I understand the idea of purgatory properly. I’ve read some of the other threads but there are quite a few and I didn’t spot one that answered my question, so here goes…
In the Old Testament, Exodus 12:19 reads ‘Even the priests, who approach the LORD, must consecrate themselves, or the LORD will break out against them.’ Because of God’s holiness, in the Old Testament He would break out against sin. Much later, Jesus sacrifices Himself and everything changes, then 1 Corinthians 6 reads 'Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God?‘So the Spirit of God lives in us, and we had to have been made right with Him in order for that to happen and all the sin was taken away when Jesus died for us. The Holy Spirit couldn’t have lived in us before the crucifixion because of the sin that seperated us from God and it took Jesus’ death for that to change, which is why Jesus said ‘Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you’ in John 16:7.
If that’s the case and we have been made sinless in order that God might dwell in us, why is there still temporal punishment and purgatory? Aren’t we made pure already? Why do we need to carry on being refined if God’s already done it?
Any guidance would be hugely appreciated! Thanks
I’ve been reading up on the above and I just don’t think that I understand the idea of purgatory properly. I’ve read some of the other threads but there are quite a few and I didn’t spot one that answered my question, so here goes…
In the Old Testament, Exodus 12:19 reads ‘Even the priests, who approach the LORD, must consecrate themselves, or the LORD will break out against them.’ Because of God’s holiness, in the Old Testament He would break out against sin. Much later, Jesus sacrifices Himself and everything changes, then 1 Corinthians 6 reads 'Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God?‘So the Spirit of God lives in us, and we had to have been made right with Him in order for that to happen and all the sin was taken away when Jesus died for us. The Holy Spirit couldn’t have lived in us before the crucifixion because of the sin that seperated us from God and it took Jesus’ death for that to change, which is why Jesus said ‘Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you’ in John 16:7.
If that’s the case and we have been made sinless in order that God might dwell in us, why is there still temporal punishment and purgatory? Aren’t we made pure already? Why do we need to carry on being refined if God’s already done it?
Any guidance would be hugely appreciated! Thanks