Yeah, I saw this and laughed.
The “blunder” is restricted to the Biblical mention of domesticated camels which were recorded (in scripture) earlier than known fossil remains of domesticated camels.
There is a span of a HUNDRED MILLION YEARS from which NO fossil is known (and, perhaps, none survive). This “blunder” is only a few thousand years. Absolute nonsense.
Many fossils that appear in museums (such as the giant dinosaur skeleton in the Museum of Natural History in Washington, DC) are not actually fossils - they are castings. In many cases, only one such fossil is known.
The fossil record is woefully incomplete. It is entirely possible that there were domesticated camels in the Holy Land whose fossils we have not yet been discovered.
It is also possible that the ancient stories referred to other beasts of burden (such as donkeys), but, when told by successive generations, were adapted to more “modern” beasts (camels). The intent of the Scripture is to communicate doctrine, not strict history. I do not understand how the specific identification of animals is doctrinal.
FWIW, modern biologists speculate that as much as
98% of all species on this earth are not yet identified. Many are microscopic.
We don’t really understand the life on the planet in which we inhabit TODAY. It is silly to think that we could understand life as it was 4000 years ago.
FWIW, I HIGHLY recommend the book by Bill Bryson, “
A Short History of Nearly Everything,” from which I draw the facts that I have stated here. This book was a gift to me from my brother (
Father Eric Filmer of CA’s “Ask an Apologist” Forum), and is one of the best books that I have ever read. FWIW, the book is not presented from any religious point of view. Indeed, there is nothing in it that I can discern that the author is Christian or Catholic, although it is “friendly” to Christians (for example, he mentions that Gregor Mendel, the “father of genetics”) was a Catholic monk - a fact often absent in other accounts.) It is a religiously-unbiased history of human understanding of several sciences (physics, biology, geology, chemistry, etc), presented in a manner that is easily understood by average people.