Purpose Driven Life

• Thread starter Thread starter princz23
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

princz23

Do you think A Purpose Driven Life and other books written by and for Protestants have any use for Catholics?

Having read some of this book I would answer a qualified “yes” - > My qualification would be that you have to keep in mind the faith background of the author but recognize that the intent of being open to God’s will and plan for your life is a very Catholic doctrine.

If you are truly interested in a book such as the Purpose Driven Life, I would recommend that you consider The Drive Factor by Rick Sarkisian PHD, a Catholic, first. Although there may be nothing inherently wrong with Protestant works, and there is certainly no shortage of them, I think that they are missing ingredients that are key to a Catholic’s faith and life. There is also a great abundance of Catholic Literature available out there. And it is more than worth the little extra effort it takes to find it. Don’t be fooled by some “Christian” books that like to sneak in their anti-catholic themes on the sly. These are more plentiful than I like to think about. I, too, have been seduced by such works as the Left Behind series thinking that it would be interesting to gain insight into a fundamentalist point of view only to be offended and taken aback by obvious anti-catholic themes. I am much more guarded about the things I choose to read now. Whether we admit it or not, the things we choose to put into our brains through reading, watching TV, listening to music, etc. all become a part of us and can affect us negatively. I hope this has been of some assistance. 🙂

40.png
princz23:
Do you think A Purpose Driven Life and other books written by and for Protestants have any use for Catholics?
I haven’t read it yet, but am strongly considering it. However, I was in Houston on business this past weekend, and attended St. Cyril Church. They were using the book for a series of studies (or something similar), and the priest was using it for his homily.

I would agree that The Drive Factor would be a better choice. It is purpose driven with the power of the sacraments. You have to thank God for the gift of the Sacraments!!! Those are the power houses to get you there.

I will look for The Drive Factor. I am a former Protestant and can still remember the anti-Catholic sentiments of those in my former faith community. I am trying to overcome my defensiveness and the Purpose Driven Life was recommended to me by a Catholic friend. I thought perhaps I was being close minded to resist reading it based on its origins. I would feel more comfortable with a similiar but Catholic work. Thank you.

I would also recommend

St. Francis DeSale’s “Introduction to the Devout Life”

I have read the book and found it stimulating. I read it as I have read all other Christian books of the past. I read it for its good content, keeping my Catholic faith and teaching in mind. I also attend a great bible study which is Christian also keeping in mind the differences from my Catholic teachings. The Christian literature is expansive and well publcized, unlike our own literature (Catholic) I have only recently discovered all the great Catholice literature out there. Hope you make the same finding :

An important thing to remember when reading anything is the perspective from which it is written. Motivational or self-help literature, especially those of a christian nature, written by non-Catholics, almost always have an anti-Catholic bias, even if it is barely perceptible. There is more than enough Catholicly-oriented writings out there to guide you on your path. Also remember, if you purchase a book written by a non-Catholic who supports and propagates an anti-Catholic bias, you are financially supporting the enemies of the very Church you are affiliated with. Just a thought. I am not denying that the underlying principles in the book you’ve mentioned may be well worth reading, I just don’t know the theological bent of the author.

If you want to discover what it means to have a purpose driven life, read a biography of any of the Catholic saints. Read more than one, read them ALL (okay, maybe that’s going overboard). I’d recommend “The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People” 👍 by Dr. Stephen Covey. He is a Mormon, but his literature has no theological basis whatsoever and are a fantastic starting point for developing a life plan that is purpose focused. Hope it helps.

We can all gain something of Christ by reading the different views of our fellow Christians. However, you will come across anti-Catholic remarks. I’ve read a few Max Lucado books, which overall were a good read, but there are places where he does make anti-Catholic remarks. The scarey thing is that sometimes they are very subtle. I remember reading one paragraph that made me feel very uncomfortable, but I couldn’t pin-point why exactly. I came back to it later and realized how subtly he was trying undermine the position Priests hold in our church.

40.png
princz23:
I have also read this book and highly recommend it. I don’t believe it’s a strictly protestant book, but a book for any Christian. I give it a 👍

In reading a book with a ‘Protestant slant’ ,just remember that if there is anyting questionable, relate it to a good Catholic source…i.e. the Catechism or any of the encyclals of the Popes.

There is a man in the Men’s Fellowship/Accountability group that I attend who’s lilfe is surrounded daily among other Protestants. Many times he has given answers in the group with a protestant slant.
Also, since Cleveland does NOT have a Catholic radio station, Catholics here tend to listen to the Moody station here.

Just be aware of What you are reading and know your Faith.

There are many other Catholic books that you could (and should) read in place of “A Purpose Driven Life,” I would recommend anything on or by the saints…something that is short and sweet is “Conformity to the Will of God” by St. Alphonsus Ligouri.

A friend of mine at work credits the book with completely changing his life. He happens to be an ex-Catholic, now Protestant. People seem to love the book, and many people feel like it’s changed their lives. Why not check it out?

I would bet you that most people, Catholics included, don’t really make God’s will in their lives a #1 priority. If someone has created a really good vehicle that successfully helps people move in the right direction towards that ideal, then who cares if the author is a Protestant, Muslim, Jew, or Catholic!?

Pete

40.png
Pete2:
A friend of mine at work credits the book with completely changing his life. He happens to be an ex-Catholic, now Protestant. People seem to love the book, and many people feel like it’s changed their lives. Why not check it out?

I would bet you that most people, Catholics included, don’t really make God’s will in their lives a #1 priority. If someone has created a really good vehicle that successfully helps people move in the right direction towards that ideal, then who cares if the author is a Protestant, Muslim, Jew, or Catholic!?

Pete
I have only skimmed the book, but I am bias as my sister was reading the book as she left the Church (I know this isn’t the cause - but it sure didn’t help any), and it was my ex-girlfriend’s favorite book (strongly anti-catholic.) And what I did read from the book I found to be lacking in many very important things that are necessary for the Catholic Christian…so I stick to my above post:

There are many other Catholic books that you could (and should) read in place of “A Purpose Driven Life,” I would recommend anything on or by the saints…something that is short and sweet is “Conformity to the Will of God” by St. Alphonsus Ligouri.”

Peace!

My wife and I have just finished reading “The Purpose Driven Life” . We both agreed it was good but very basic. No great revelation! We plan to give our copy to a protestant couple that are not real active in their faith hoping they may come back with questions that may allow us to invite them to Catholism…or at least explore their own faith more fully.
Mike

I tried reading The Purpose Driven Life a couple of years ago. I couldn’t make it through the first week. I thought he made uninteresting points, and didn’t even make those well. Thus, I wouldn’t even recommend the book to a Protestant.

:twocents:

It is a good book. but I don’t know, i kind of felt like it was a novice’s book. it wasn’t hard core, you know. i think it is good for certain audiences but maybe not for all.

I wish the church would come up with the some fun stuff like that for us catholics though and go mainstream and take our religion back

My mother found it useful as she is Lutheran. I picked it up and glanced at it and put it down.

I find “St Pius x Catechism” good and “This is the Faith”. But then I am reading “Imitation of Christ” and “My Daily Bread” so I feel I am on a better wicket without diluting the church teaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back