Putting sauce on food

• Thread starter Thread starter akathlic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
its just very indulgent to add extra things and it encourages you to keep eating past the point of fullness. I avoid the extra flavorings and choose bland plain food and dont eat till im truly hungry. Everything tastes great if you are really hungry. We should eat what we need , not stuff our mouths because it just tastes so good…

There was a thread on this in January, and in it the Catholic Encyclopedia was quoted - which included the comment that the sin of gluttony did in fact include the category of food prepared “too daintily.” I’m not sure that the definition of “too daintily” was ever nailed down.

I’d suspect that ketchup is in the clear, but it leaves open whether something like bernaise sauce or hollandaise sauce are flirting with sin - anything, in fact, that requires special additional effort cooking rather than just being poured from a bottle.
Maybe it would be safe to say that one should avoid eating at any Michelin 3-star restaurant. I’m sure all of them prepare their food “too daintily”.

🙂

Gluttony is eating too much. There is a difference between enjoying and liking the taste of food and eating to excess. Only eating bland food and stuff that makes you want to throw up isn’t some magical path to holiness. Condiments aren’t a sin.

Sainthood does not make a person infallible. If the good saint said this, it was his opinion and not a doctrine of the Faith.

It is- but what possible benefit is there in attempting to make this issue more complicated than it should be for the OP?

Unfortunately, neither the CCC, Catechism of Pius X, or Catechism of Trent define gluttony. The Baltimore Catechism simply defines it as an excessive desire for food or drink. Fr. Hardon’s Catholic Dictionary has probably the most helpful entry:
Inordinate desire for the pleasure connected with food or drink. This desire may become sinful in various ways: by eating or drinking far more than a person needs to maintain bodily strength; by glutting one’s taste for certain kinds of food with known detriment to health; by indulging the appetite for exquisite food or drink, especially when these are beyond one’s ability to afford a luxurious diet; by eating or drinking too avidly, i.e., ravenously; by consuming alcoholic beverages to the point of losing full control on one’s reasoning powers. Intoxication that ends in complete loss of reason is a mortal sin if brought on without justification, e.g., for medical reasons. (Etym. Latin glutire, to devour.)
In light of the Latin etymology Fr. Hardon notes, I would add also the following from St. John Chrysostom’s homily on Matt. 23:14
Woe unto you, Scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you devour widows’ houses, and for a pretense make long prayers: therefore you shall receive greater damnation.

After this, next He derides them for gluttony: and the grievous thing was, that not from rich men’s goods, but from the poor they indulged their own belly, and aggravated their poverty, which they should have relieved. For neither did they merely eat, but devoured.

Last edited:
I had to swear off salt for the BP so I substituted chocolate. Works for me!

I’m curious about your response. How would this play out in a family setting? We attend Latin mass and homeschool with 7 kids. We are “traditional”. Sunday night after Mass we have “Sunday gravy”. Which consists of homemade pasta my 15 year old makes, a red sauce from tomatoes with herbs from our garden it is quite exquisite. The protein is a pork sausage, chicken or sometimes a good veal. Last Friday we had fish ( chinook salmon my 7 year old son and I caught) with lemon zest, dill, salt, pepper, lemon slices, horseradish sauce grilled on cedar planks. I’m wondering if I’m teaching my kids skills, or giving into gluttony? The question is rhetorical. And I note that inviting over Father for some incredible food is something those of us gifted with culinary skills and Tastes should do often!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, neither the CCC, Catechism of Pius X, or Catechism of Trent define gluttony. The Baltimore Catechism simply defines it as an excessive desire for food or drink. Fr. Hardon’s Catholic Dictionary has probably the most helpful entry:
Inordinate desire for the pleasure connected with food or drink. This desire may become sinful in various ways: by eating or drinking far more than a person needs to maintain bodily strength; by glutting one’s taste for certain kinds of food with known detriment to health; by indulging the appetite for exquisite food or drink, especially when these are beyond one’s ability to afford a luxurious diet; by eating or drinking too avidly, i.e., ravenously; by consuming alcoholic beverages to the point of losing full control on one’s reasoning powers. Intoxication that ends in complete loss of reason is a mortal sin if brought on without justification, e.g., for medical reasons. (Etym. Latin glutire, to devour.)
So we’ve dismissed “dainty,” but now the question is: what is “exquisite” food and drink? Sounds like that special anniversary dinner at the French restaurant could be morally problematic. Applebee’s instead? Fish & chips but no lobster? Gallo but not Mouton-Rothschild? If a moralist is going to use a term, wish some type of definition or guideline would be given.

A family table with children and a wife is one thing, the ascetic monk’s table is another.
I think if I am addicted to some food, it may already be some addiction.

It seems to me that asceticism and exercise in moderation is between you and God.
I think, there is no rule or yardstick.
Modesty beautifies, but people with wealth have the right to eat healthy, expensive and of high quality.
Especially the families, you are obliged to do your best for your family.

It is interesting that the super-rich people do not look fat, often the poor look fat, but people with wealth have the right to understand culinary pleasures, but everything is decorated with measure😊

Last edited:
What on earth is going on today?

The question elsewhere as to whether we are in end times because we’ve had some nice sunsets I thought was going to be the oddest of the week. Then that was trumped immediately by someone asking if angels could be atheists.

Now ketchup on fries is a moral quandry…?

Last edited:
In my view, enhancing the flavor of food is no sin. However, altogether drowning the flavor by adding a sauce is a sin, big time.

When one goes to Rome perhaps on a pilgrimage and the goes to the Vatican, there is an amazing gelato shop between St. Peter’s square and the Vatican museum entrance. Get the dark chocolate, get the fresh whipped cream to go on top. Praise God and pray in thanksgiving to be so blessed as to live in a time where we can worship, pilgrimage, and taste the delight of the good things God blesses us with, then buy one for someone who cant afford it, perhaps even a seminarian or a nun.

Last edited:
A sauce should compliment the food. A sauce that takes over the food Is not a sauce but a mask. A mask of a lazy cook! Now add a bunch of profanity and a Gordon Ramsey accent and you got it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back