Q about guardian angels

  • Thread starter Thread starter Steven95747
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steven95747

Guest
Hi. My wife and I have a really difficult marriage. We are both 100% responsible, of course. On the spiritual angle though, could our guardian angels be ‘repelling’ us away from each other? Let’s say that we DONT have a real sacramental marriage (too long to explain, just go with it)…let’s say that staying together is harming us (emotionally for sure); but lets say that it has the POTENTIAL to harm one or both of us spiritually, would not then our G.A. be looking out for our best interests?

Yes we’ve been to counseling. Yes we attended Retrouvaille.

Just looking for some clarity in a cloudy world.
Peace.
 
This really isn’t possible to respond to within the bounds of formal Catholic doctrine as guardian angels are not Catholic doctrine or theology. They are creations of popular tradition (that’s with a small “t”).

In any case. I personally believe in guardian angels, and for what it’s worth, don’t think what you describe is occurring or even in the angelic MO.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

I say continue in therapy with a different therapist. I really believe in the power and effectiveness of couple’s counseling.
 
Guardian Angels are purely divine beings.

I don’t think angels “repel” you from someone you love; it’s just not in their capabilities.

Have you tried meeting with a priest?
 
Hi. My wife and I have a really difficult marriage. We are both 100% responsible, of course. On the spiritual angle though, could our guardian angels be ‘repelling’ us away from each other? Let’s say that we DONT have a real sacramental marriage (too long to explain, just go with it)…let’s say that staying together is harming us (emotionally for sure); but lets say that it has the POTENTIAL to harm one or both of us spiritually, would not then our G.A. be looking out for our best interests?

Yes we’ve been to counseling. Yes we attended Retrouvaille.

Just looking for some clarity in a cloudy world.
Peace.
Guardian Angels cannot control your lives. They are there to guide and protect you. They cannot interfere with our free will.
 
This does not sound like an angelic thing to do, no. Guardian angels are here to guard, not manipulate by causing emotional distress. Forgive me if I’m overstepping a bit here, but it seems much more likely that you are looking for justification for something that seems at least on some level appealing, but think is probably wrong.

If you think that your marriage may not be sacramental or valid, typically the best thing to do is figure this out first, then fix any defects. Assuming the marriage is valid, it is my understanding that so long as both you and your wife are baptized and it is sacramental. If you have any doubts on this subject, I highly suggest you talk to a priest.

In any case, you will both be in my prayers. I do highly recommend talking to a priest though.

(For more on guardian angles see: newadvent.org/cathen/07049c.htm)
 
This really isn’t possible to respond to within the bounds of formal Catholic doctrine** as guardian angels are not Catholic doctrine or theology. They are creations of popular tradition (that’s with a small “t”). **

In any case. I personally believe in guardian angels, and for what it’s worth, don’t think what you describe is occurring or even in the angelic MO.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

I say continue in therapy with a different therapist. I really believe in the power and effectiveness of couple’s counseling.
For your consideration…
CATECHISM OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
SECOND EDITION
336 **From its beginning until death, human life is surrounded by their watchful care and intercession.**202 “**Beside each believer stands an angel as protector and shepherd leading him to life.”**203 Already here on earth the Christian life shares by faith in the blessed company of angels and men united in God.
202Cf. Mt 18:10; Lk 16:22; Ps 34:7; 91:10-13; Job 33:23-24; Zech 1:12; Tob 12:12.
Matthew 18:10
New International Version 1984 (NIV1984)

The Parable of the Lost Sheep
10 “See that you do not look down on one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven.
Pax Christi
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top