Q for the ladies

• Thread starter Thread starter sanctamaria17
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sanctamaria17

I’m going to a friend’s parish this weekend for a young adults’ merengue night (young adults being us college kids) and was wondering, what do you wear? I want to be modest but also have something to dance in.

It’s quite easy to be modest and comfortable for that setting at the same time (and stylish, of course). I’ll describe something for a casual occassion - I’m not sure what you’re going to might be considered as - but if it needs to be more formal, it doesn’t take too much to dress things up, simply by omitting or switching out the obviously casual pieces.

A mid-length skirt (just past the knees) is the best bet if you’re going to be dancing, and it’s plenty modest. A full length skirt would be fine if you have one that’s designed for lots of leg movement. If you’re worried about being cold with a mid-length skirt, it’s rather popular these days to wear a pair of leggings or some other pants that follow the shape of your leg - I like to wear jeans under my skirts, especially in the winter.

That’s probably the easy part. Now you just have to find a top that will go with the bottom. Always remember the rules about patterns and solids and what not. I won’t go into that, I’m sure you can handle it 😉 Don’t be afraid to wear a fitted t-shirt under a buttoned-down shirt. If the skirt’s casual, you could even wear a long-sleeved shirt - or a turtleneck - under a fitted t-shirt. (I say fitted because a t-shirt that isn’t tends to look a bit shabby, especially paired with a skirt.) I’m always the most comfortable when my arms, shoulders, and chest are all covered. It’s not hard to roll up the sleeves if it gets too warm, and it’s better to be covered up than to feel under-dressed, especially at a parish party.

When it comes to shoes, go with something comfortable. Flats, or even tennis shoes (not sneakers), unless your comfortable in heels. If you are, you are one lucky woman.

All that’s left are the accessories. Have fun 😃

It’s quite easy to be modest and comfortable for that setting at the same time (and stylish, of course). I’ll describe something for a casual occassion - I’m not sure what you’re going to might be considered as - but if it needs to be more formal, it doesn’t take too much to dress things up, simply by omitting or switching out the obviously casual pieces.

A mid-length skirt (just past the knees) is the best bet if you’re going to be dancing, and it’s plenty modest. A full length skirt would be fine if you have one that’s designed for lots of leg movement. If you’re worried about being cold with a mid-length skirt, it’s rather popular these days to wear a pair of leggings or some other pants that follow the shape of your leg - I like to wear jeans under my skirts, especially in the winter.

That’s probably the easy part. Now you just have to find a top that will go with the bottom. Always remember the rules about patterns and solids and what not. I won’t go into that, I’m sure you can handle it 😉 Don’t be afraid to wear a fitted t-shirt under a buttoned-down shirt. If the skirt’s casual, you could even wear a long-sleeved shirt - or a turtleneck - under a fitted t-shirt. (I say fitted because a t-shirt that isn’t tends to look a bit shabby, especially paired with a skirt.) I’m always the most comfortable when my arms, shoulders, and chest are all covered. It’s not hard to roll up the sleeves if it gets too warm, and it’s better to be covered up than to feel under-dressed, especially at a parish party.

When it comes to shoes, go with something comfortable. Flats, or even tennis shoes (not sneakers), unless your comfortable in heels. If you are, you are one lucky woman.

All that’s left are the accessories. Have fun 😃
I’m a guy, but I’d have to say, don’t wear leggings under a skirt. It may be in fashion now, but so were powdered wigs. Wear tights.

Personally I think a simple but nicely-cut dress looks nicer than a top-skirt combination. Personally I think a waist that falls at the natural waist looks best; higher up looks like maternity clothes.

As to accessories I would (you know what I mean) go with only a little fairly simple jewelry, one pair of earrings (if more is an option), a bracelet on one wrist (symmetry looks a bit like Conan the Barbarian; you could probably get away with one on each if they’re very different in weight, color, material etc.)

Yes I realize I put a lot of thought into women’s clothing. So what?

I’m a guy, but I’d have to say, don’t wear leggings under a skirt. It may be in fashion now, but so were powdered wigs. Wear tights.

Personally I think a simple but nicely-cut dress looks nicer than a top-skirt combination. Personally I think a waist that falls at the natural waist looks best; higher up looks like maternity clothes.

As to accessories I would (you know what I mean) go with only a little fairly simple jewelry, one pair of earrings (if more is an option), a bracelet on one wrist (symmetry looks a bit like Conan the Barbarian; you could probably get away with one on each if they’re very different in weight, color, material etc.)

Shows you notice women! I would have thought that most men would.

Hastrman - You are a VERY brave man indeed!!! 😃

I would suggest an A line skirt that hits right below the knees, depending on the climate you are in, tights would be best for colder climate. I do suggest staying away from black. I find that when you dress modestly in black it sends an impression that you are going to a funeral rather than a social event. Back to the A line skirt, almost everyone (woman) looks good in them and they allow for better movement if you wish to dance (compared to a pencil skirt).

For the top, I would suggest a matching blouse or a shirt that you can put a jacket over. I would avoid a sweater even if you are in a colder climate, it usually gets too hot in a room full of people. I find when I am trying to match a top to a bottom (when I buy them) I look at what the store has matched together. If I don’t like the style of their top I ask the clerk, they typically have some great ideas.

I would stick with a short heel, although avoid complete flats (or the slipper shoes), I find they rarely offer traction.

I have heard many college men (even good Catholic ones) say that they feel the long (to the ankle) skirts appear too dowdy or hippy on a younger woman.

Again not sure where you live and if you are trying to pull something out of your closet or you are looking to buy a new outfit. If you are in a larger town, see if they have a Cato. I find that they often have young looking yet modest clothes at a very good price.

I agree with Hastrman on the jewelry. Would strongly discourage wearing large or dangly earrings or necklaces that you are afraid to lose (you would be shocked at how many people lose necklaces at dances.

Oh, also, if possible leave the purse or handbag at home. A jacket with pockets is always handy for ID, $$ and cell phone. You don’t want to have to worry about your purse if you are dancing. 😃

Either a skirt or pants would work…
Skirts and dresses are more fun to dance in though (also can hide poor dance moves a little better… I’m NOT a dancer! 😃 )…

Definitely consider layering… a sweater or light jacket on top would give you the ability to take it off if you start getting hot from dancing!

Have fun!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back