R
Reformed1
Guest
It seems like a stretch to me. So far it appears that there is no evidence of this belief for several centuries. I haven’t gotten through all the links that were posted earlier, but so far the third century is the earliest I have found. There may be earlier writings that exhibit a belief that Mary was somehow sinless but I just havne’t found them yet.Mary needed a Savior to be immaculately conceived --she received the grace of salvation, being preserved from sin rather than cleansed from sin as the rest of us are – due to the sacrifice of Christ on Calvary. And, of course, it was by God’s grace she remained sinless (and the Eastern Orthodox, while not having the teaching of the Immaculate Conception because of their views of original sin, do believe in Mary’s sinlessness). John the Baptist, who Jesus said was the greatest of the prophets who would announce the Messiah, was sanctified early on in his mother’s womb. It’s not a stretch, then, that the Mother of the Savior might be conceived in grace and therefore be perfectly sanctified in order to fulfill her God-ordained role in salvation. The Immaculate conception is pure predestination.
The scriptural evidence seem fairly weak as well. I don’t know enough Greek to engage in a debate and would end up just relaying what others have said so I’ll just accpet what the posters have said above at face vavlue about the Greek term in Luke.
The typology has several problems, mainly that there are no rules limiting how one works with types in scripture.
But, in the end, it wasn’t my purpose to debate this issue. I just wanted to see what Catholics had to say about the patristic evidence and what they thought the scriptural evidence was. Now I know.