You’re asking some good questions, Reformed. Are you Presbyterian? The reason I ask is because I wanted to bring up infant baptism as an example. You mentioned you couldn’t find a Bible verse that taught this. I bring up infant baptism because I used to be Reformed Baptist and couldn’t “see” infant baptism taught in Scripture --there was no explicit command in the Bible. But I read about infant baptism in light of covenant theology, and then I could “see” infant baptism. I had to look at the"big picture" of God’s dealings with Israel --I could see definitely the biblical evidence, which was more implicit than explicit. It’s the same with the Immaculate Conception. I’ll try to outline it for you as briefly and clearly as I can:
Genesis 3:15 – the prophecy of the seed of the woman who would crush the head of the serpent, and that God would put enmity between the woman and the serpent. That enmity, opposition, is total and complete. --Jesus repeatedly refers to Mary as “Woman” throughout His public ministry. That always struck me as an odd way for Him to refer to His mother, but in light of this prophecy, it makes perfect sense. Jesus is telling us His mother Mary fulfills this prophecy. Mary’s opposition to Satan could not be total and complete if she were born with a corrupted human nature.
If you look at the Fall, there is a man (Adam), a woman (Eve) and an angel (a fallen one, Satan). All were disobedient to God. In contrast to this, at the Redemption (in Catholic theology began at the Incarnation and ended on the Cross) there is a man (Jesus), a woman (Mary, the New Eve – if there’s a second Adam, Christ, there has to be a second Eve to complete the picture), and an angel (the archangel Gabriel). Three sinners in the beginning; three sinless ones at the redemption.
Mary is the Ark of the New Covenant. Compare 2 Samuel 6:1-7 and Luke 1:39-45 and note the striking parallels: 1) David “arose and went” – Mary “arose and went”
2) David went to the hill country of Judah --Mary went to the hill country of Judah 3)David proclaims his unworthiness before the ark – Elizabeth proclaims her unworthiness before Mary 4) David dances before the ark – John the Baptist leaps in his mother’s before Mary 5) the Ark remained in the hill country for 3 months – Mary remained in the hill country with Elizabeth for 3 months.
Compare the OT Ark and the NT Ark, Mary:
Ark contained: Rod of Aaron (the ancestral priesthood)
Miraculous manna (bread from heaven)
Word of God written in stone
Mary contained: Jesus, the eternal High Priest
Jesus, the Bread of Life,
Jesus, Word of God made flesh
How could Mary be the Ark that contained the Most High God if she were a vessel marred by sin?
At the Annunciation, the archangel Gabriel addresses Mary not by her name, but by the title, “full of grace.” Now, I’m not knowledgeable about Greek, so what I know is from others who know Greek, and the fact she’s addressed in this way and the construct of the word indicates a permanent quality about Mary.
I think others have sent you links with the patristic writings on Mary. They may not use the word “immaculate conception,” but belief in her sinlessness goes back to earliest times. The Trinity is a similar situation. If you’ve ever talked with Oneness Pentecostals or Jehovah’s Witnesses, who deny the Trinity, an argument they present is that the doctrine of the Trinity doesn’t appear until after the fourth century. It’s true in the earliest patristic writings that term doesn’t appear, but the teaching is there. An analogy for the development of doctrine would be like comparing an acorn to a full grown oak. An acorn possesses all the genetic information to create an oak, but it’s not fully grown and developed. It needs time and nutrition to grow and development into a tree. The deposit of faith given to the apostles (Tradition) and handed down through the Magisterium (teaching authority of the church) started out as an “acorn”, with all the doctrines present but not fully developed. Remember Jesus said to His apostles before His death, that He had much more to teach them, more than they could bear, and He would send the Holy Spirit to “lead” them into “all truth?” Over centuries of reflection and understanding, we have grown in our understanding of the deposit of faith, not understanding them differently or changing them, but being able to better define and explain what Jesus taught the apostles. The Trinity is also an example of development of doctrine. In the Old Testament we have hints of the Trinity, but the Oneness of God is most emphasized. When the Trinity is taught in the New, it’s not a contradiction of what is taught in the Old, but a more complete revelation of the nature of God in harmony with what is taught in the Old.