Okay, here’s a list of qualities for any future wife I might marry in the future.
Could the people who are married on this board, and especially those who have been married 20+ years as you have the most experience, please read over this little preliminary list I’ve made up, and tell me if I’ve set my standards far too high and that I should lower some of my expectations. Also, could you let me know if my standards are far too low, and that I could do much better, and should aim higher.
A lot of these items don’t just center around the person, but also the person’s family as they’ll be getting to know me and vice versa. I know it’s a cliche, but knowing where a person has come from lets me better know where they are going.
This is just a preliminary list, and I’ll be adding and subtracting things as the situation warrants. Everything in this list isn’t set in stone either, I am reasonably flexible I think.
Finally, if anyone wants clarification on some parts of this list, don’t hesitate to ask.
Qualities For A Wife
Physical Attributes:
- Not terribly important overall. Looks will fade with time; personality is for life.
- Proportional.
- Exercises regularly.
- Keeps junk food intake to a minimum.
(If I can’t look at them, and without hesitation say: “Yes, if your face and hands were burned off in a car accident I would still be by your side for the rest of your life.” and mean it, I won’t consider proposing, let alone marriage.)
Family Attributes:
- From an intact family. ie: parents not divorced or single mother by choice (I’m not including widows and those who were dealt a bad hand by fate.).
- Siblings, if any, are not divorced either.
- Gets along with my mother, father, brother and sister.
- Her family likes and gets along with me.
Money Habits:
- SAVES!
- Knows the difference between necessities and luxuries.
- Little to no debt.
- Has a reasonable payment plan to get out of/manage any debt.
- Has Health Insurance.
- Has a 401K
- Every now and then maybe buys something reasonably priced to keep life interesting.
Personality Attributes:
- Must value and expect loyalty from me.
- Wants kids.
- Is good with kids.
- Agree with my ideas for disciplining children when it is needed.
- Laughs at my jokes. (Especially the stupid ones.)
- Does not believe in or agree with divorce.
- Agrees with me when I say “What part of Forsaking all others, and Till death do us part, do you NOT understand?!?”
- Puts up with my nuttier/crazier/stranger moments/attributes.
- Must be pro-life.
Miscellaneous:
(Nice/Fun attributes to have, but not quite needed.)
- Owns/operates a firearm(s)
- Has a college education.
- Agrees with most of my political opinions.
- Enjoys similar Movies/TV shows/Books.