Question about absolution..

  • Thread starter Thread starter Melchizdeck
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Melchizdeck

Guest
I have a question… I am sure it has been asked before, but I had a peculiar experience during the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I went to an out of town church, while I was there I found that The church had Sacrament of Confession 15 minutes before Mass. I wanted to go to Confession, so I did. Now I am fairly new at returning to the Church, And have had this happen before. The priest was a bit late, He had just about 5 minutes before he served mass, but did go into Confessional anyway. I entered and was rather disturbed that as I started my Confession, The Priest told me " I don’t want to hear that. Just tell me Your sins." Every time I tried to he would tell me that is not right, You must confess to such and such. I have always confessed from my heart. I never worried about words, But Father did. In fact it got to the point where I felt he was putting words in my mouth and confessing for me. I felt very bad. But He finally said, You are not telling me, a man, Your sins, You are throwing Yourself on Gods Mercy. I don’t want to hear Your words, just tell me you sins like a list ( I thought he is either in a bad mood or as I mentioned above, short on time. ) Yet he had enough time to tell me what I wanted to confess. I’ll forget about that, the main thing I was concerned about, was after his lecturing me, he gave me my penance, and told me “Your sins are forgiven.” Go to the chapel to pray Your penance. Was I forgiven? It seems in his haste to make me conform to his expectations of my confession. He did not say the absolution Prayer He just said “Your sins are forgiven, go to the chapel and pray Your penance” I was a little uncomfortable and just left. If the priest does not say the absolution prayer, are we forgiven. I was under the impression that the prayer had to be said. And No it was not whispered as I was saying an act of contrition as he did not even ask me to do that.

Thanks for Your help and understanding. I feel awkward asking, but need to know.
 
This priest seems to either been having a very bad day or is a little strange. Either way, I’d recommend finding another confessor.
Was your absolution valid? Probably not, but God is aware that you had the right intention. I’d advise going to another confessor and starting over again.
 
I have a question… I am sure it has been asked before, but I had a peculiar experience during the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I went to an out of town church, while I was there I found that The church had Sacrament of Confession 15 minutes before Mass. I wanted to go to Confession, so I did. Now I am fairly new at returning to the Church, And have had this happen before. The priest was a bit late, He had just about 5 minutes before he served mass, but did go into Confessional anyway. I entered and was rather disturbed that as I started my Confession, The Priest told me " I don’t want to hear that. Just tell me Your sins." Every time I tried to he would tell me that is not right, You must confess to such and such. I have always confessed from my heart. I never worried about words, But Father did. In fact it got to the point where I felt he was putting words in my mouth and confessing for me. I felt very bad. But He finally said, You are not telling me, a man, Your sins, You are throwing Yourself on Gods Mercy. I don’t want to hear Your words, just tell me you sins like a list ( I thought he is either in a bad mood or as I mentioned above, short on time. ) Yet he had enough time to tell me what I wanted to confess. I’ll forget about that, the main thing I was concerned about, was after his lecturing me, he gave me my penance, and told me “Your sins are forgiven.” Go to the chapel to pray Your penance. Was I forgiven? It seems in his haste to make me conform to his expectations of my confession. He did not say the absolution Prayer He just said “Your sins are forgiven, go to the chapel and pray Your penance” I was a little uncomfortable and just left. If the priest does not say the absolution prayer, are we forgiven. I was under the impression that the prayer had to be said. And No it was not whispered as I was saying an act of contrition as he did not even ask me to do that.

Thanks for Your help and understanding. I feel awkward asking, but need to know.
If a priest says your sins are forgiven, they are forgiven. If uncomfortable with that particular priest, don’t go back.
 
If a priest says your sins are forgiven, they are forgiven. If uncomfortable with that particular priest, don’t go back.
Not necessarily. If he does not use the proper words of absolution (in the Roman Catholic Church, “I absolve you of your sins in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”) it is possible that the sacrament was invalid. Priests should not mess around with this. Nobody should have to leave the confessional wondering whether or not he has been validly absolved.
 
Not necessarily. If he does not use the proper words of absolution (in the Roman Catholic Church, “I absolve you of your sins in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”) it is possible that the sacrament was invalid. Priests should not mess around with this. Nobody should have to leave the confessional wondering whether or not he has been validly absolved.
yes…one needs the form of absolution…

though it may be the case that he said it silently while the person was making the act of contrition
 
Not necessarily. If he does not use the proper words of absolution (in the Roman Catholic Church, “I absolve you of your sins in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”) it is possible that the sacrament was invalid. Priests should not mess around with this. Nobody should have to leave the confessional wondering whether or not he has been validly absolved.
I would think that the priest not only knows the proper words but in fact did use those words.There is entirely too much second guessing regarding a priests fulfillment of his duties. Err on the side of the priest, not on the poster!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top