S
slh3016
Guest
On another thread, a poster responded to a question regarding original sin with “There is simply an inability to respond to God because of a lack of grace…baptism is the normative cure for [this].”
As a Protestant teetering on conversion, I’d like a little more explanation regarding this, especially the inability to respond to God without baptism. If baptized outside the Catholic or Orthodox church, how does a Catholic explain a person’s desire to get baptized/saved/respond to God if no grace was presence in their lives because they were not baptized as infants?
Does the answer to this question, in light of the fact that no one can come to God without grace (I believe Protestants and Catholics agree on this point) and especially in light of the millions of non-Catholic non-Orthodox baptized Christians worldwide, suggest that God’s grace is given freely, without regard to baptismal status therefore contradicting the doctrine of original sin?
Please know that I’m not saying that baptism is not required for salvation, but if the purpose of baptism is to put a “mark of grace” on a person’s soul then I’m just having a hard time reconciling the fact that, obviously, God’s grace is lavished on many without such prior mark. I keep seeing it as a “What came first, the chicken or the egg?” kind of argument.
I’m not trying to be antagonist…I’m just simply confused
As a Protestant teetering on conversion, I’d like a little more explanation regarding this, especially the inability to respond to God without baptism. If baptized outside the Catholic or Orthodox church, how does a Catholic explain a person’s desire to get baptized/saved/respond to God if no grace was presence in their lives because they were not baptized as infants?
Does the answer to this question, in light of the fact that no one can come to God without grace (I believe Protestants and Catholics agree on this point) and especially in light of the millions of non-Catholic non-Orthodox baptized Christians worldwide, suggest that God’s grace is given freely, without regard to baptismal status therefore contradicting the doctrine of original sin?
Please know that I’m not saying that baptism is not required for salvation, but if the purpose of baptism is to put a “mark of grace” on a person’s soul then I’m just having a hard time reconciling the fact that, obviously, God’s grace is lavished on many without such prior mark. I keep seeing it as a “What came first, the chicken or the egg?” kind of argument.
I’m not trying to be antagonist…I’m just simply confused