Question about children and Mass obligation

  • Thread starter Thread starter Canvas
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Canvas

Guest
My child usually attends Mass every Sunday. She recently turned 6. Next weekend she will be staying with non Catholic Grandparents. As I understand, the Sunday Obligation does not exist for children under 7.

My question is this: Am I bound to make sure she attends Mass when she is staying with grandparents even before reaching the legal age of reason (7 yrs) defined by the Church?

Her grandmother might take her (might), but I am worried she might miss Mass.

Since she is not technically legally obligated yet under Canon Law, if she doesn’t attend Mass, would this be a grave sin on my part?
 
As I understand, the Sunday Obligation does not exist for children under 7.
Correct.

Can. 11 Merely ecclesiastical laws bind those who have been baptized in the Catholic Church or received into it, possess the efficient use of reason, and, unless the law expressly provides otherwise, have completed seven years of age.
Am I bound to make sure she attends Mass when she is staying with grandparents even before reaching the legal age of reason (7 yrs) defined by the Church ?
Why would you be?

You just stated children under 7 are not bound. They aren’t bound when they are with you and they aren’t bound when you send them to grandma’s.

I’m not being flip, but what part of this is confusing you?
Her grandmother might take her (might), but I am worried she might miss Mass.
Why are you worried?
Since she is not technically legally obligated yet under Canon Law, if she doesn’t attend Mass, would this be a grave sin on my part?
Not obligated is very clear. So why do you think you would be sinning??

Also, even when she is over the age of reason, if you send her to grandma’s, ask grandma to get your kid to mass, and grandma fails to take her to mass, you also aren’t sinning.

I’m really not seeing why you think this is a sin.
 
Sorry, scruples.

I understood she was not obligated, but I wasn’t sure if she missed Mass if I would be sinning in my obligations.

She is going to be away from home for several days and I already am anxious about it, and this started getting to me.
 
Would it be possible for you to attend Mass with her at another time during the week ?
 
She is actually going on a trip with grandma and will be gone for around a week.
 
Sorry, scruples.
Please work with your pastor.
I understood she was not obligated, but I wasn’t sure if she missed Mass if I would be sinning in my obligations.
Listen to what you just asked. You asked if you are sinning when your child who has no obligation to go to mass doesn’t go to mass. You are asking if you are obligated to make sure someone who has no obligation goes to mass.

That doesn’t even make any sense.
She is going to be away from home for several days and I already am anxious about it, and this started getting to me.
Talk to your mental health provider about your anxiety.
 
Thank you for knocking some sense into me. I need it sometimes when I get wound up.
 
Would it be possible for you to attend Mass with her at another time during the week ?
Suzanne, first that is a nice idea but it in no way addressed the Sunday obligation. And it isn’t required to do so if we are unable to attend Sunday mass. And her kid doesn’t have an obligation.

Two, the OP has now indicated she suffers from Scruples. It is best we don’t put burdens on those with scruples such as planting the idea she needs to do more. She should seek direction from her pastor since she has scruples.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top