B
beegirl
Guest
My cousin had a pretty big question for me the other day and I don’t know how to answer. She was born and raised catholic (unlike me, I’m converting) and she still wasn’t sure about this.
A long time ago (she was then 13 and is now 17) this cousin told almost everyone in the family she was sexually abused. She didn’t say by who. Last week she told me that it was all a lie and that she doesn’t even know why she did it (maybe for attention? I’m not a psychiatrist…). I can tell she feels bad…I’m surprised she admitted this to me, because we’re not super close. She said she confessed it about a month ago but doesn’t feel any better about it. So now she thinks that the only way to be forgiven from he sin is to tell everyone she told the lie to that it was, in fact, a lie. Honestly, I’m a little confused by this logic, because I thought that once you confessed a sin and meant it, you were forgiven. Especially since her lie didn’t damage anyones reputation, besides her own I guess…
Her question – and now my question – is basically this: if someone tells a lie, and confesses it to a priest but not to anyone else, are they still absolved of that sin?
A long time ago (she was then 13 and is now 17) this cousin told almost everyone in the family she was sexually abused. She didn’t say by who. Last week she told me that it was all a lie and that she doesn’t even know why she did it (maybe for attention? I’m not a psychiatrist…). I can tell she feels bad…I’m surprised she admitted this to me, because we’re not super close. She said she confessed it about a month ago but doesn’t feel any better about it. So now she thinks that the only way to be forgiven from he sin is to tell everyone she told the lie to that it was, in fact, a lie. Honestly, I’m a little confused by this logic, because I thought that once you confessed a sin and meant it, you were forgiven. Especially since her lie didn’t damage anyones reputation, besides her own I guess…
Her question – and now my question – is basically this: if someone tells a lie, and confesses it to a priest but not to anyone else, are they still absolved of that sin?