Question about Eucharist. Is this a sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Prodigal1984
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Prodigal1984

Guest
If you walk out of Mass and cough and accidentally a piece of the Eucharist comes out of your mouth and falls on the ground is this a sin? Are you supposed to pick it up and eat it again? This is speaking 5-10 minutes after mass and something like it got stuck in your throat or something. This sounds ridiculous I know but this happened to me after Mass this morning and I feel like I may need to confess this.
 
I once got the Precious Blood of Our Lord on my moustache, do you know what I did? I licked it off because I am not going to waste Jesus. How long did you say it was after you received? Because that may change the question.
 
It was after mass concluded. I walked outside to my car and it happened in the parking lot.
 
If you walk out of Mass and cough and accidentally a piece of the Eucharist comes out of your mouth and falls on the ground is this a sin? Are you supposed to pick it up and eat it again? This is speaking 5-10 minutes after mass and something like it got stuck in your throat or something. This sounds ridiculous I know but this happened to me after Mass this morning and I feel like I may need to confess this.
How could that possibly be a sin?
 
I thought it might be considered sacrilege. Even though it was an accident.
 
Yes but should I have picked up the particle? I just left it on the parking lot. That is where I thought I may have sinned.
 
Last edited:
I think the question would be better framed as “is leaving it there a sin?” You can’t sin if you don’t know.

I’d ask the priest about proper disposal. There is actual protocol in case the receiver vomits after receiving, for example. It doesn’t require eating it again, of course.
 
Last edited:
If you walk out of Mass and cough and accidentally a piece of the Eucharist comes out of your mouth and falls on the ground is this a sin? Are you supposed to pick it up and eat it again? This is speaking 5-10 minutes after mass and something like it got stuck in your throat or something. This sounds ridiculous I know but this happened to me after Mass this morning and I feel like I may need to confess this.
I know this is going to come across to some as borderline scrupulous, but if It is still the Body of Christ (i.e., has not disintegrated sufficiently so as to lose the appearance of bread), yes, It has to be treated with the same reverence.

I would say you should dab up the Sacred Species with a paper napkin if you have one, and take this to the priest to be dealt with (by putting It down the sacrarium). If possible, you could pick It up and consume It, if you can do so without nausea or exposing yourself to filth, afterwards purifying your fingers with water poured over the earth (thus returning the water to the elements).

Some priests might look at you funny, but I would be far more concerned with giving reverence to the Holy Eucharist, than what someone else is going to think.
 
I think common disposal in cases of a vomit reaction does involve burying it and also putting any water involved with washing it up also in (on) the earth. But I didn’t want to assume without reference materials. A priest should know.
 
Thank you for the advice. I will remember this if it happens in the future.
However I already had left and asked this after I thought about it when I arrived at work.
Would you advise confessing this that I left it there? Am I in a state of mortal sin?
 
Thank you for the advice. I will remember this if it happens in the future.
However I already had left and asked this after I thought about it when I arrived at work.
Would you advise confessing this that I left it there? Am I in a state of mortal sin?
If you’re not sure you’re in mortal sin, you’re probably not. It requires full knowledge of the sinfulness of what you’re doing before you make a conscious decision to do it.
 
I think common disposal in cases of a vomit reaction does involve burying it and also putting any water involved with washing it up also in (on) the earth. But I didn’t want to assume without reference materials. A priest should know.
How long does it take the species upon consuming it to no longer be the Body and Blood of the Lord? This happened after Mass so I would guess ten minutes had passed.
 
I think common disposal in cases of a vomit reaction does involve burying it and also putting any water involved with washing it up also in (on) the earth. But I didn’t want to assume without reference materials. A priest should know.
The usual opinion, and this is nothing more than just common sense, is that the Real Presence remains for around 15 minutes. Put another way, for a quarter of an hour you are a walking ciborium. This should be the high point of your day and of your life.

After this, the species decomposes, as is the case with anything else of similar texture that you would eat. Our Lord certainly foresaw that this would be the consequence of normal eating and digestion.
 
Perhaps in the future, stay and pray for a moment in your pew. This way you have had time to chew and swallow the Host.
 
A chewed up particle would not have the appearance of bread anymore. Be at peace.
 
You shouldnt post obvious scrupulous questions on here. Do you worship a God who would punish you for a sneeze!?
 
You shouldnt post obvious scrupulous questions on here. Do you worship a God who would punish you for a sneeze!?
I’m sorry you feel this way. I wasn’t sure so I asked what people who may know something I don’t if this was a sin or not. Not the cough itself but more so that I left the material I coughed up on the ground and drove off 😞
 
It is nor a good idea to ask others on the internet if you have sinned. You are responsible for your own conscience and the criteria for sin is pretty straightforward. Perhaps it would have been better to ask what to do when this happens, not if you sinned.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top