Question about Mary and shrines

  • Thread starter Thread starter oneseeker
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oneseeker

Guest
At Our Lady of the Snows in Belleville, IL, there is a fountain and next to it is the story of how the shrine came to be built. According to the story, there was a rich couple who had no family to give their money. They prayed and Mary told them she wanted a shrine built in her honor, and that the place they should build it would have snow when no area around it did. So that’s what they did.

I have a real problem with the idea of Mary coming to people saying, “build me a shrine and honor me.” Wouldn’t she say instead, “build a shrine to my Son and honor Him?” After all, she is humble and seeks to point all to Him. :confused:

Thanks for any advice. I’m still sifting through the IC postings.👍

oneseeker
 
At Our Lady of the Snows in Belleville, IL, there is a fountain and next to it is the story of how the shrine came to be built. According to the story, there was a rich couple who had no family to give their money. They prayed and Mary told them she wanted a shrine built in her honor, and that the place they should build it would have snow when no area around it did. So that’s what they did.

I have a real problem with the idea of Mary coming to people saying, “build me a shrine and honor me.” Wouldn’t she say instead, “build a shrine to my Son and honor Him?” After all, she is humble and seeks to point all to Him. :confused:

Thanks for any advice. I’m still sifting through the IC postings.👍

oneseeker
Most of these apparitions are not approved. There are only a few approved apparitions by the Church. They are also not required for the faithful to believe.

Just recently, a Marian apparition was disapproved by the Catholic Church. You can also view the threads subject Fatima… though one of them is about to be closed soon.
 
Um, well, you see, the shrine in Belleville wasn’t the one that was built originally.

The original Our Lady of the Snows church was built in AD 362. (yep, 4th century) in ROME, Italy. There’s actually a lot more to the legend than you’ve remembered from the story of this very popular old devotion. Perhaps the fact that in this time Mary was proclaimed as the Theotokos (quite a few heretics during this time–the Arian heresy) were trying to throw out this belief and make Jesus into a mere man–had something to do with the fact that God had Mary appear to this couple with the request He had her make.

Again, why is Mary important? Because of her Son. Why is she honored? Because of her Son. Who was the first to honor her? God, in making her mother of His Son. Does God change or is He eternal and unchanging? Eternal. So if God honored Mary then, did He ever STOP honoring her? Think about it.
 
I did actually know about the church in Rome. It’s interesting to find out that the Catholic Church has only authenticated a few of the apparitions. I thought if it was a well known case, that meant it had been taught and approved already. Oh well, that’s why I’m here…to learn.🙂

oneseeker
 
Luke 16

27"He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father’s house, 28for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

29"Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’

30" ‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’

31"He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’ "
 
I have a real problem with the idea of Mary coming to people saying, “build me a shrine and honor me.” Wouldn’t she say instead, “build a shrine to my Son and honor Him?” After all, she is humble and seeks to point all to Him. :confused:

Thanks for any advice. I’m still sifting through the IC postings.👍

oneseeker
Since you know about the origin of Our Lady of the Snows I just thought I’d address this part of your 2 part question. 🙂

When Mary asks that a shrine be built to honor her she means nothing more than that. She isn’t saying: “Build me a shrine to worship me instead of God.” Honoring someone and worshiping him/her as God are two very different things.

Why is that?, you may ask. Well, it’s because pure worship means offering a sacrifice. And what is the sacrifice offered on the altars of every Catholic church and who is it offered to? It is the Eucharist, the body and blood, soul and divinity of Christ offered to the Father.

At every Marian shrine in the world the Eucharist takes center stage. What Mary has asked, in effect, is: “Build me a shrine to honor me because wherever I am honored God is worshiped through the Eucharist my Son established.” Mary doesn’t say all that because she usually appears to those who understand this. She’s speaking in “short hand” but the seer knows what she is asking for, and all that she is asking for by her request. I hope that helps you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top