Question about medical ethics/morality, miscarriages, and Down syndrome

  • Thread starter Thread starter jack63
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
For ever other medical intervention there is a line between ordinary and extraordinary. Why would it be different for pregnancy?
 
Last edited:
Hello,

I have a genetic disability. Please allow me to give you an overview.

First of all, I do not have Down Syndrome. I have an autosomal recessive mutation in one of my genes that is causing my gene to not properly make the protein.

I was born safely through C-Section, although my mother had severe pain before giving birth to me. She couldn’t deliver me naturally, so she had to opt for a C-Section to give birth to me. I did not develop my disability until I was 20 years old.

Down syndrome is not caused by stress. It is a chromosomal abnormality. In a person with Down Synrdrome, there are three chromosome 21 in his/her genome. It is 100% genetic. Down Syndrome is listed as an ‘isolated case’ by OMIM, because it is caused by a ‘moving around’ of the genes, or translocation, and in most cases, it is not inherited from their parents.

Parents with down syndrome could consult a genetic counselor or a geneticist if they want to learn more about their child’s condition. People with down syndrome can have fulfilling lives and contribute a lot to the society.
 
I was born safely through C-Section, although my mother had severe pain before giving birth to me. She couldn’t deliver me naturally, so she had to opt for a C-Section to give birth to me. I did not develop my disability until I was 20 years old.
Thanks for the response!

Was the the pain your mother experienced and the need for the c-section related to your disability? …don’t answer if you don’t feel comfortable…of course. Just curious. My mother gave birth to me by a c-section too.

No doubt what you said is relevant, but there is a big difference between needing a c-section and miscarrying.
 
I’d be especially interested in how often progesterone is prescribed in a NFP environment vs. a non-NFP environment and the reason for the prescriptions.
Well my non-NFP provider has prescribed it for me in every pregnancy since my miscarriage. She doesn’t test levels because there aren’t adverse effects to high levels of bioidentical progesterone during pregnancy - so even if it’s not “needed” there’s no harm done. (Non-bioidentical progesterone is another’s matter, though. But I’ve never heard of that being prescribed in pregnancy. It’s used as a contraceptive.)

The NFP doctor was not willing to prescribe me progesterone until he checked my levels. Since I got my positive pregnancy test on a friday, the earliest he could get results would be Monday. I wasn’t interested in waiting that long & risking a miscarriage. I appreciate my non-NFP practitioner called in the progesterone stat without taking blood levels. There’s controversy around whether blood levels are even a good measure of womb-levels anyway…

So that’s been my experience for whatever it’s worth.
 
To me the mechanism that causes the miscarriage would be very important to understand.

For example, based on my OP, if there a characteristics of an unborn child that are not that compatible with life, what is the mechanism by which the mother miscarries? Is the female reproductive system advanced enough to sense that there are characteristics in this unborn child that are not compatible with life and pull progesterone thereby naturally forcing a miscarriage? Is there any research on this anywhere? Is there a grey area in this natural sensing system? For example, the child may live, but there are characteristics there that are still not “that” compatible with life, so a mother’s body naturally forces a miscarriage.
Fascinating distinction! From what I’ve been told, if the unborn baby has developmental issues not comparable with continued development, no amount of progesterone will prevent that miscarriage.

The cases I’m aware of are mom’s taking progesterone to create a womb-environment comparable with pregnancy. That has nothing whatever to do with the state of the baby himself/herself. Completely separate. For example, when I lost my baby we were told there was nothing genetically abnormal. Low progesterone was presumed as the “other most common reason for a miscarriage” and I now supplement during every pregnancy.
 
I was born safely through C-Section, although my mother had severe pain before giving birth to me. She couldn’t deliver me naturally, so she had to opt for a C-Section to give birth to me. I did not develop my disability until I was 20 years old.
I hope you do not feel the questions in this thread insinuate any disrespect for folks with Downs or other issues! The topic of preventable miscarriage is just one I’m curious about. I myself was born prematurely when my mothers body began miscarrying my deceased twin mid-pregnancy. Had she not opted for medical intervention I would be dead. I am absolutely alllllll about medical intervention!!! But as science can intervene more and more I do wonder where the moral lines are drawn.
 
I hope you do not feel the questions in this thread insinuate any disrespect for folks with Downs or other issues!
I certainly mean no disrespect to people with Downs Syndrome or other issues. We are all God’s children. I don’t take the questions or responses by others to mean any disrespect either.
But as science can intervene more and more I do wonder where the moral lines are drawn.
This really is my feeling too. It is not at all simple. Thanks for the interesting responses!
 
I’m not sure- my mother said that the doctor told her that she might die if she continues with the labouring process. So they immediately rushed her to C-Section surgery. She opted for saving the child and saving herself as well.

My mother said, however, that I was a sick child. I was always going to the hospital for infections and illnesses. But each case with a genetic disability varies from each other, and that’s why I cannot speak for all individuals with my condition.
 
I hope you do not feel the questions in this thread insinuate any disrespect for folks with Downs or other issues!
No worries- I’m ok with questions!

If a child is found to have Down Syndrome, it means that the person had a karotype, a type of genetic testing to examine the pairs of chromosomes. Now, my chromosomes are paired correctly but one of the genes just said, “You know what, I’m not going to do the job.” Genetic disabilities vary very, very differently. Science is available for the parents to care for the unborn- I am not sure if miscarriages can be prevented. I, personally, lost a sister to miscarriage. It can happen to anyone 😦

We can only pray that the child will be safely born. I know for a fact that individuals with down syndrome can achieve a lot. The OMIM and Orphanet entries can be helpful.

https://www.omim.org/entry/190685?search=down%20syndrome&highlight=(syndrome|syndromic)

 
Science is available for the parents to care for the unborn
My impression and experience regarding medical science in general is that it has many limitations, and the area of care for the unborn is new and medical science has an even more limited understanding of this. My question are related to, as another poster put it, what is extraordinary vs. ordinary in the care of an unborn. I’d say a C-section is ordinary. However, you’re bringing up good points. C-sections aren’t always optional, and a miscarriage may be the alternative. Also, are the problems your mother experienced in labor related to the genetic disability you describe? This is a another good question that medical science likely won’t be able to answer anytime soon. By the way, I will think and pray for you. Thanks for your interesting responses.
 
Last edited:
Also, are the problems your mother experienced in labor related to the genetic disability you describe?
Probably not if I understand his genetic anomaly correctly. Many genetic problems don’t manifest until after birth.
 
Also, are the problems your mother experienced in labor related to the genetic disability you describe?
I have no idea. I was labeled as a “healthy” newborn because I did not show any symptoms when I was younger. The symptoms developed around age 20 but I had some signs when I was 14-16.

As I said, genetic disabilities are variable in outcomes and onsets.

Thank you for your kind words! Glad to help.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top