Question about mortal sin...

  • Thread starter Thread starter JL2011
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JL2011

Guest
Hi,

First of all, let me say I suffer from scruples. Now…

Assuming we all know what it takes for a sin to be mortal (grave matter, full knowledge, and deliberate consent) let me ask this question.

Can I ever mortally sin? I mean, the gravest sins I’ve committed in my entire life have been done with no knowledge of their consequences (hell), and I told that to the priest, and he said all of those are not mortal for that same reason (lack of knowledge). Most of the time I try to convince myself that things I do are not mortal sins by using the analysis of a mortal sin, but this leads me to think: if I always find a reason to state that what I do is not a mortal sin, will I ever commit one, or have I ever committed one?
 
Hi,

First of all, let me say I suffer from scruples. Now…

Assuming we all know what it takes for a sin to be mortal (grave matter, full knowledge, and deliberate consent) let me ask this question.

Can I ever mortally sin? I mean, the gravest sins I’ve committed in my entire life have been done with no knowledge of their consequences (hell), and I told that to the priest, and he said all of those are not mortal for that same reason (lack of knowledge). Most of the time I try to convince myself that things I do are not mortal sins by using the analysis of a mortal sin, but this leads me to think: if I always find a reason to state that what I do is not a mortal sin, will I ever commit one, or have I ever committed one?
If you are scrupulous, it is probably best to not dwell on your sins as either mortal or venial unless you are SURE they are mortal sins. It is best to find a good priest to talk to because he will get to know you personally and he will be able to judge your soul better than anyone over the internet

Tom
 
If you are scrupulous, it is probably best to not dwell on your sins as either mortal or venial unless you are SURE they are mortal sins. It is best to find a good priest to talk to because he will get to know you personally and he will be able to judge your soul better than anyone over the internet

Tom
yes that is good advice Tom, Simply examine your conscience, confess all sins regardless, you will grow in holiness make confession a regular habit and don’t worry, you will be in the process of the purification needed, and who knows…you will probably escape purgatory:cool: ;):thumbsup:Peace, Carlan
 
Thank you both.

Yeah, I’ve tried that. It’s been a little hard for me to talk with my parish priest, since most of the time he’s pretty busy and he’s a little old, so I sometimes feel like I may bother him if I always want to talk to him.

He also told me not to dwell on my sins unless I’m sure they’re mortal, but it’s kinda hard to convince myself not to, since I’m scrupulous… :confused:
 
One does not need to think about the consequence of mortal sin is hell per se…one does not need a deep theological knowledge of the sin…that is not the kind of knowledge needed…

This is not to say that *you *did in fact commit any mortal sins in the past…but just to note that one does not have to explicitly think about “hell”…or …“I would go to hell” in order to commit mortal sin…or that one needs some special theological knowledge of the sin…

That being said…I encourage you to stand firm against your scruples with your confessors help. Scruples are to be treated like a barking dog or a hissing goose…one does not stop to argue with a barking dog…one keeps walking…

But Yes one does need a grave matter…full knowledge and deliberate consent…together.

Bank robbery is a grave matter.

I know it is a grave matter.

I knowing such …I choose to go rob the bank with deliberate consent…

such is a mortal sin.

Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church -issued by Pope Benedict XVI
  1. When does one commit a mortal sin?
1855-1861
1874

One commits a mortal sin when there are simultaneously present: grave matter, full knowledge, and deliberate consent. This sin destroys charity in us, deprives us of sanctifying grace, and, if unrepented, leads us to the eternal death of hell. It can be forgiven in the ordinary way by means of the sacraments of Baptism and of Penance or Reconciliation.
  1. When does one commit a venial sin?
1862-1864
1875

One commits a venial sin, which is essentially different from a mortal sin, when the matter involved is less serious or, even if it is grave, when full knowledge or complete consent are absent. Venial sin does not break the covenant with God but it weakens charity and manifests a disordered affection for created goods. It impedes the progress of a soul in the exercise of the virtues and in the practice of moral good. It merits temporal punishment which purifies.

So if one does lack full knowledge or deliberate consent…(complete consent) it is not a mortal sin.

It can be very well be that the things you try to convince yourself are not mortal sins…do not fit the three aspects of mortal sins cause they are not mortal sins! Your confessor can guide you. Often those with scruples start fearing sin everywhere…or at least in particular areas…where they should not. Where it is venial matter…or even not sinful matter at all…or if grave…was just a temptation etc…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top