Question about public prayer?

  • Thread starter Thread starter amelie871
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amelie871

Guest
I’ve been wondering lately about praying in public. I know we’re instructed to not be like those praying loudly on street corners, but how far does that go? If I dine out, may I cross myself and say grace silently?

I’m asking now particularly because I’m taking a long trip next week, and praying the Rosary (silently) is a great comfort on a long flight. If I have my beads out, but am praying silently, does this still count as “showy” prayer? I don’t want to do anything that would be displeasing to God, obviously, even if it does keep me calm.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!!
 
I’ve been wondering lately about praying in public. I know we’re instructed to not be like those praying loudly on street corners, but how far does that go? If I dine out, may I cross myself and say grace silently?
Well, I do. No one has had a problem with it so far.
I’m asking now particularly because I’m taking a long trip next week, and praying the Rosary (silently) is a great comfort on a long flight. If I have my beads out, but am praying silently, does this still count as “showy” prayer? I don’t want to do anything that would be displeasing to God, obviously, even if it does keep me calm.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!!
Again, I do this. I would advise you to keep a low profile about it, however, as I’ve encountered people who are nervous about flying and for whom the sight of someone praying increases that unease. For some, it’s as if I’m praying because I think we’re going to die. :ehh: In order to minimize the risk someone might think that, I use a black cord rosary that I can drape between me and the seat next to me (or the wall, if I’m unlucky enough to have been put in a window seat). But that’s just me. And I make no attempt to hide the rosary nor to conceal the fact that I’m praying.

In both examples, I think if you’re discreet you shouldn’t have problems and neither instance could be interpreted as “showy.”

God bless, and have a safe trip!
 
Well, I do. No one has had a problem with it so far.

Again, I do this. I would advise you to keep a low profile about it, however, as I’ve encountered people who are nervous about flying and for whom the sight of someone praying increases that unease. For some, it’s as if I’m praying because I think we’re going to die. :ehh: In order to minimize the risk someone might think that, I use a black cord rosary that I can drape between me and the seat next to me (or the wall, if I’m unlucky enough to have been put in a window seat). But that’s just me. And I make no attempt to hide the rosary nor to conceal the fact that I’m praying.

In both examples, I think if you’re discreet you shouldn’t have problems and neither instance could be interpreted as “showy.”

God bless, and have a safe trip!
I don’t think I’ve taken a flight where I haven’t said an Act of Contrition before take-off and landing. Those are the most dangerous parts of the trip and I want to make sure I’m ready to meet my Lord if the worst should happen. If anyone sees me and feels ‘uneasy’, too bad. Actually, all they’d see is an oldish woman murmuring to herself. Maybe I just look eccentric.
 
I have often said the rosary on flights. On flights to and from Rome no one bats an eyelid. 😉

You can always use a single decade rosary or rosary ring If you would prefer to keep it discreet.

I think it’s lovely to see people praying in public, plus it is a good act of witness as long as it’s not done with the intent of drawing attention to self or with false piety/humility.
 
I’ve been wondering lately about praying in public. I know we’re instructed to not be like those praying loudly on street corners, but how far does that go? If I dine out, may I cross myself and say grace silently?

I’m asking now particularly because I’m taking a long trip next week, and praying the Rosary (silently) is a great comfort on a long flight. If I have my beads out, but am praying silently, does this still count as “showy” prayer? I don’t want to do anything that would be displeasing to God, obviously, even if it does keep me calm.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!!
Matt 6:5 “When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, who love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on street corners so that others may see them. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward."

Why are you praying in public? Is it for God’s glory or your own?
Are you doing it so that people will see you and think that you’re a good person? Then you are a hypocrite.
Are you doing it because of a genuine Love of God, and because it is an appropriate thing to do? Then go on and pray!
 
I recently had a waitress come over and thank us for unashamedly praying grace before meals. She said she seldom sees it anymore, and it was nice to see. We don’t’ make a big show of it, she just happened to see us.
 
I don’t consider saying grace at your restaurant table, or saying a rosary in an airplane seat to be “in public,” You’re not showing off.
 
I don’t think I’ve taken a flight where I haven’t said an Act of Contrition before take-off and landing. Those are the most dangerous parts of the trip and I want to make sure I’m ready to meet my Lord if the worst should happen. If anyone sees me and feels ‘uneasy’, too bad. Actually, all they’d see is an oldish woman murmuring to herself. Maybe I just look eccentric.
I understand what you’re driving at (I think so, anyway), and there are limits to the lengths I will go to be subtle about the fact that I’m praying. Since I have encountered people who are genuinely anxious about flying, however, I try to do what I can to avoid increasing their anxiety. That’s all. 🙂
 
I’ve been wondering lately about praying in public. I know we’re instructed to not be like those praying loudly on street corners, but how far does that go? If I dine out, may I cross myself and say grace silently?

I’m asking now particularly because I’m taking a long trip next week, and praying the Rosary (silently) is a great comfort on a long flight. If I have my beads out, but am praying silently, does this still count as “showy” prayer? I don’t want to do anything that would be displeasing to God, obviously, even if it does keep me calm.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!!
Our family says grace before every meal. Home or away. It is something we are teaching our children. We believe all the glory belongs to God, and so to not show it while eating out would be strange for us. We do not do it to be showy, nor do we try to hide it. We just do it. We don’t look around to see if people are looking, nor do we personally care if they look or do not. Our intentions are to fully honor the Lord for the meal we are blessed with. I think if your intentions are true and honest, there is nothing wrong with praying in public.

What I think Jesus warned about was those who do so (pray) in public to show others that they have a better relationship with God or to show they are better “religiously” than you or I, that is what he despises.

There are plenty of times where prayer in public can be a good thing. Prayer vigils for lost loved ones, or prayer vigils outside abortion clinics. I believe the intent is to truly request the Lord’s intervention for His good.

Just my opinion.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top