Question about Sin

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brian2944
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brian2944

Guest
How do we strive to be sinless when we know we will fail?

I’m having a hard time with this. At the end of everyday I feel like a horrible failure. The guilt from a “failed day” because of sin feels like I hurt God and the thought that I will do the same tomorrow drives me crazy. I feel ashamed to pray and ask for God’s forgiveness, because its probably a sin I’ve commmited before and its one I’ll probably do again in the future.

I try to tell myself, “I’m a sinner, and with my sinful nature, I’m bound to sin”, but then I take sin to lightly and see it as “oh well, thats just the way I am”.

How do you approach sin and forgivness on a daily basis? If sinning is failing to obey God’s law, how can anybody find happiness knowing they will continue to offend God their entire life?
 
Do not be surprised that you fall every day, do not give up, but stand your ground courageously. And assuredly, the angel who guards you will honor your patience. While a wound is still fresh and warm, it is easy to heal; but old, neglected and festering ones are hard to cure, and require for their care much treatment, cutting, plastering and cauterization.
**St. John Climacus, The Ladder of Divine Ascent **
 
How do we strive to be sinless when we know we will fail?

I’m having a hard time with this. At the end of everyday I feel like a horrible failure. The guilt from a “failed day” because of sin feels like I hurt God and the thought that I will do the same tomorrow drives me crazy. I feel ashamed to pray and ask for God’s forgiveness, because its probably a sin I’ve commmited before and its one I’ll probably do again in the future.

I try to tell myself, “I’m a sinner, and with my sinful nature, I’m bound to sin”, but then I take sin to lightly and see it as “oh well, thats just the way I am”.

How do you approach sin and forgivness on a daily basis? If sinning is failing to obey God’s law, how can anybody find happiness knowing they will continue to offend God their entire life?
Try to do something positive rather than focusing all you attention on avoiding the negative.
Is there an unpopular colleague who would like to be included in your social group? Or a junior person who needs a bit of a hand up?
 
Brian, welcome to the forum.
How do we strive to be sinless when we know we will fail?
As with any discipline you need the practice. The more you strive to be sinless, the easier it becomes. Sins you would fall into easily will become bothersome. You know you shouldn’t, and after a while of practice they will become much easier to avoid. When I first quit smoking, 15 years ago, it was so very, very, difficult, (for me and everyone around me). As the days turned into weeks and the weeks to months it became a little easier to resist. As the months have turned into years it has become fairly easy to resist. I still have a temptation to smoke, even after 15 years, but it’s not hard at all to resist. The same applies to sin. If you give in to your temptation your not practicing, and it will always be impossible for you to resist.
At the end of everyday I feel like a horrible failure. The guilt from a “failed day” because of sin feels like I hurt God and the thought that I will do the same tomorrow drives me crazy. I feel ashamed to pray and ask for God’s forgiveness, because its probably a sin I’ve commmited before and its one I’ll probably do again in the future.
Since you believe in God, you probably also understand there is a devil? You’re being influenced by both. God gives you the grace to resist sin, but you must accept this grace. You accept His grace by avoiding sin, make it a habit. The more you avoid sin the easier it will become. Don’t expect to wake up tomorrow a saint. Give God the time to heal your soul. Giving up is giving into Satan. He’s the one telling you it’s no use to try to be good.
I try to tell myself, “I’m a sinner, and with my sinful nature, I’m bound to sin”, but then I take sin to lightly and see it as “oh well, thats just the way I am”.
The pope and I have something in common. We’re both sinners. I would say, judging from all I know, he sins less than I. Why? Does God give him something He is keeping from me? No. God offers both of us exactly the same thing. All of the grace we need. The pope probably accepts these graces more than I. It is easier for him, over time, to resist sin. Why? Because he has practiced more than I.
How do you approach sin and forgivness on a daily basis? If sinning is failing to obey God’s law, how can anybody find happiness knowing they will continue to offend God their entire life?
If you read the Catechism of the Catholic Church: scborromeo.org/ about sin. Para 1852 – 1876, you’ll get a better idea of the daily battle we each fight. The more you fight the stronger you will become. The more you give in, the weaker spiritually, you will become.
 
How do we strive to be sinless when we know we will fail?

I’m having a hard time with this. At the end of everyday I feel like a horrible failure. The guilt from a “failed day” because of sin feels like I hurt God and the thought that I will do the same tomorrow drives me crazy. I feel ashamed to pray and ask for God’s forgiveness, because its probably a sin I’ve commmited before and its one I’ll probably do again in the future.

I try to tell myself, “I’m a sinner, and with my sinful nature, I’m bound to sin”, but then I take sin to lightly and see it as “oh well, thats just the way I am”.

How do you approach sin and forgivness on a daily basis? If sinning is failing to obey God’s law, how can anybody find happiness knowing they will continue to offend God their entire life?
One cannot grasp the full beauty of the gift of forgiveness we have received in the Cross of Christ without a simultaneous, persistent realization and recognition of our own unworthiness of that gift. God is preparing you to be face to face with Him. It is dualistic reality - much like the Cross itself. When you think of the Cross, do you see God’s loving mercy towards us in that He gave his only Son, or do you see God’s Justice and Holiness in how violently opposed to sin He is? They are both there - simultaneously.
IMHO what you seem to be lacking is the recognition of God’s consolation in prayer and following the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Can I make a recommendation? Find a place where you can pray undisturbed and uninhibited and out loud.
If you drive to work, your car will work just fine. Bring to God EVERYTHING you are struggling with and explain all of the emotions and contradictions you are going through - out loud. Admit your failings and loss of hope. Ask Him for help, strength, faith and perseverance - all out loud. Allow Him time to speak to your heart - do not rush through anything you experience during this prayer time, but allow it to settle into your heart. Do not try to control your emotions - if you need to pull over, do so. Try and sense His peace during this time. Close with a thoughtful and reverent Lord’s Prayer (Our Father) – again, out loud! I think you will get God’s very simple and clear message from this, but I will not try to influence your thoughts one way or the other so that you will recognize it as genuine. Let me know how you make out - I will be praying for you.

Phil
 
It does help if you put your focus on positively developing virtue - concentrating especially on those virtues that are incompatible with (ie corresponding to) your most troublesome sins and vices.

Rather like someone who needs to lose weight may be told to keep thei attention on the fact that they’re developing positive habits of healthy eating and living that will help them feel and be better off. Rather than thinking solely in a negative way and seeing it as merely depriving yourself or restricting yourself, because it isn’t all negative and shouldn’t be.

And at the end of the day think of the positive good you’ve done and experienced and give thanks for that as well. It always helps to have a somewhat more realistic (rathet than unremittingly negative) outlook.

By the way - pray a Rosary and a Chaplet of Divine Mercy every day. Do more if you can - attend daily mass if possible. These practices really do work wonders.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top