C
Curious_Hobbit
Guest
First off I admit that I havent read much of the bible at all (i will start this semester). How are we supposed react to some of the laws in leviticus, deuteronomy, etc. when it says that adulterers should be stoned and some people should be put to death for sinning.
here’s a little sam harris video that I was watching that prompted me to ask this question. I wonder for myself and I would like to know how to respond to an unbeliever if I am asked.
youtube.com/watch?v=S6yJ5OB_92Q
I guess these are the kinds of quotes referring to, but I’ve heard more verses that sound a bit harsh
Deuteronomy 20:23
20 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the girl’s virginity can be found, 21 she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done a disgraceful thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.
22 If a man is found sleeping with another man’s wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die. You must purge the evil from Israel.
23 If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, 24 you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death—the girl because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man’s wife. You must purge the evil from among you
How are we supposed to take these verses? I admit that Im not very familiar with scripture so my lack of understanding may come from that. I would appreciate any comment.
Thanks!
here’s a little sam harris video that I was watching that prompted me to ask this question. I wonder for myself and I would like to know how to respond to an unbeliever if I am asked.
youtube.com/watch?v=S6yJ5OB_92Q
I guess these are the kinds of quotes referring to, but I’ve heard more verses that sound a bit harsh
Deuteronomy 20:23
20 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the girl’s virginity can be found, 21 she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done a disgraceful thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.
22 If a man is found sleeping with another man’s wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die. You must purge the evil from Israel.
23 If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, 24 you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death—the girl because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man’s wife. You must purge the evil from among you
How are we supposed to take these verses? I admit that Im not very familiar with scripture so my lack of understanding may come from that. I would appreciate any comment.
Thanks!