G
garysibio
Guest
I’m interested into delving a little deeper into the history of the development of the biblical canon. A particular question has piqued my interest but I’m not sure there’s an answer to it. I thought I’d try here.
We point to the Councils of Hippo and Carthage as evidence that the church used a canon identical with the canon defined as dogmatic at Trent. However, somewhere around 360 AD, the Council of Laodicea listed an OT canon identical with the Protestant canon with the exception of its inclusion of Baruch, a book which was often treated as an addition to Jeremiah. Neither Hippo, Carthage or Laodicea were ecumenical so they don’t carry the weight of Trent but how do we justify giving more weight to the latter two than the prior one?
We point to the Councils of Hippo and Carthage as evidence that the church used a canon identical with the canon defined as dogmatic at Trent. However, somewhere around 360 AD, the Council of Laodicea listed an OT canon identical with the Protestant canon with the exception of its inclusion of Baruch, a book which was often treated as an addition to Jeremiah. Neither Hippo, Carthage or Laodicea were ecumenical so they don’t carry the weight of Trent but how do we justify giving more weight to the latter two than the prior one?