question about the "hour of death"

  • Thread starter Thread starter amoiesu
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amoiesu

Guest
in the diary of st faustina, Jesus instructs her to pray the chaplet at the bedside of the dying.
a lot of other Catholic literature and prayers also talk about some last great trial that Christian souls face at the hour of death.

what kind of struggle are they referring to?
is it just the human fear of death? is it the doubting of one’s salvation? is it a final temptation to sin mortally and thus lose eternal life in heaven?

these writings and prayers aren’t very specific about what it is you’re supposed to be preparing yourself for when life ends or the particular reason those dying especially need our prayers.
 
I can’t say I’m any sort of expert on this, but I believe it to be the human fear of death, as well as any temptations or threats that demons might attempt to make on the righteous in order to scare them and perhaps, in a moment of weakness, doubt Jesus. However, I’m not sure how many people this applies to, as there are saints and sinners who go out peacefully, just as there are saints and sinners who fight to the very last. All told, I wouldn’t pick it apart too deeply; if Christ says pray it to bring peace to the dying, I don’t see anything wrong with bringing peace to the dying especially in a religious way.
 
I know I will be consumed with sorrow when I face death, probably even more than fear.
 
Perhaps not. The Anointing of the Sick grants comfort to the sick and peace to the dying.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top