Question about the Profession of Faith . .

  • Thread starter Thread starter ziapueblo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ziapueblo

Guest
Greetings all,

My wife and I are on vacation and attended Mass at a local Catholic Church. During the Profession of Faith instead of reciting the Nicene Creed the Apostles Creed was said. My question, is that allowed or common? Is this a Liturgical abuse?

Thanks and God bless,
ZP
 
Greetings all,

My wife and I are on vacation and attended Mass at a local Catholic Church. During the Profession of Faith instead of reciting the Nicene Creed the Apostles Creed was said. My question, is that allowed or common? Is this a Liturgical abuse?

Thanks and God bless,
ZP
Depends where you were. In Canada there is an indult to use the Apostles Creed at all Masses although they suggest using the Nicene at Christmas and March 25.

In the US, it can be used for children’s Masses.

As soon as the new Missal is promulgated the Apostles Creed will be licit at any Mass, anywhere.
 
Greetings all,

My wife and I are on vacation and attended Mass at a local Catholic Church. During the Profession of Faith instead of reciting the Nicene Creed the Apostles Creed was said. My question, is that allowed or common? Is this a Liturgical abuse?

Thanks and God bless,
ZP
I know that Canada has an indult for using the Apostles Creed instead of the Nicene Creed. Here in the States, the norm seems to be the Nicene Creed. I don’t think I have ever attended a Mass that recited the Apostles Creed in place of the Nicene Creed.

The Nicene Creed is more of a theological treatise on what we specifically believe about God, Christ and the Holy Spirit. It is much more thorough in its presentation of the Faith basics than the Apostles Creed. The aim of the Nicene Creed was to spell out exactly Who Christ was and where He came from, and how.

With the coming clarifications in the Liturgy, the “Credo” will go back to its original translation of “I believe” rather than “We believe.”

I haven’t heard anything as to whether or not it will become optional or that the Apostles Creed can replace it. I don’t know why it should. The Nicene Creed has been said throughout the past two-thousand years in the Liturgy, in both East and West.
 
As soon as the new Missal is promulgated the Apostles Creed will be licit at any Mass, anywhere.
Oh Phemie, say it ain’t so!

I was hoping that Canada would return to the Nicene creed. My local parish uses it about once every 5-10 years. :mad:

( The last few weeks I’ve been able to get to the nearest Tridentine Mass!!! 🙂 )
 
Oh Phemie, say it ain’t so!

I was hoping that Canada would return to the Nicene creed. My local parish uses it about once every 5-10 years. :mad:

( The last few weeks I’ve been able to get to the nearest Tridentine Mass!!! 🙂 )
See if you can find a French parish. I’ve rarely heard the Apostles Creed at a French Mass, it’s usually the Nicene.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top