Question about today's reading at Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter rebeccanew
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rebeccanew

Guest
Jesus said to his Deciples,“I will always be with you always, even until the end of ages.” Does this mean that after the end of time we will be with Jesus (he won’t be with us). I have often been perplexed by this.
 
Jesus said to his Deciples,“I will always be with you always, even until the end of ages.” Does this mean that after the end of time we will be with Jesus (he won’t be with us). I have often been perplexed by this.
I’ll answer with another verse and then a rhetorical question, after which I’ll answer both.

“And Michal the daughter of Saul had no child until the day of her death” (II Samuel 6:23). Does this mean that after the day of her death Michal, the daughter of Saul, did have more children?

Answer: Nope. “Until,” or “heos” in the Greek, only speaks to what happens before the phrase it modifies; it says nothing whatsoever about what happens after. Therefore, you need not fear; He shall be with us for all eternity. 🙂

Does that help?
 
Tiberius, that explanation of the “until” referencing only the ‘before’ material, is immensely helpful, thank you. I shall have to store that for future uses when defending our Mother.

God Bless,
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top