M
Michaeljc4
Guest
I’m reading a book about the Protestant Reformation, and in the discussion of the difference between Catholics and Protestants, the author talks about the importance of tradition in the RCC. The author writes:
Two questions. First, is this an accurate representation of the origins of tradition/apostolic succession in our Catholic faith?
Second, what is an example of a tradition that has been passed down from the earliest days of the church that’s not found in the Bible?
The book is called The Reformation for Armchair Theologians (which describes me to a fault!) It’s very readable, but I am not knowledgeable enough about the nuances of Catholic and Protestant theology to know if I am getting good information.
The author also mentions Irenaeus, who I know nothing about.These teachings [things Jesus said that were not written down but passed on orally to the earliest disciples and the Apostles] would have been entrusted to the leaders of communities founded by the Apostles, and through apostolic succession of bishops, the orthodox church must be the custodian of these oral teachings.
Two questions. First, is this an accurate representation of the origins of tradition/apostolic succession in our Catholic faith?
Second, what is an example of a tradition that has been passed down from the earliest days of the church that’s not found in the Bible?
The book is called The Reformation for Armchair Theologians (which describes me to a fault!) It’s very readable, but I am not knowledgeable enough about the nuances of Catholic and Protestant theology to know if I am getting good information.