Question: Can such a wave of destruction occurr on US West coast?

• Thread starter Thread starter BenRosa
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BenRosa

Just wondering…if anyone has expertise on this, as the west coast is also very earthquake prone.

May our Father’s hand be over the victims and bring them peace.

40.png
BenRosa:
Just wondering…if anyone has expertise on this as this area of the world is also earthquake prone.
It’s possible, but not likely. Unlike the regions of Southeast Asia hardest hit by the tsunamis, the U.S. has an early warning system in place for such waves. The destruction to property would likely be the same, but the loss of life much less as a result.

– Mark L. Chance.

you are not exactly right mlchance, accounting to the news last night, it is possible for the Northwest to be hit. Infact Alaska got hit 40 years ago.

40.png
dhgray:
you are not exactly right mlchance, accounting to the news last night, it is possible for the Northwest to be hit. Infact Alaska got hit 40 years ago.
My point isn’t the U.S. couldn’t be hit by such waves, but that the overall damage would likely not be as great. We have the early warning systems in place. People could be evacuated instead of being caught napping on the beach.

– Mark L. Chance.

Thanks…

However, I read Indonesia was hit, and hit hard, within 8 minutes. These waves were apparently moving at about 400 mph. Should such a quake occurr off the west coast, there would be little time to evacuate the likes of LA, San Fran, Seattle, and the home of CA, San Diego.

40.png
BenRosa:
Thanks…

However, I read Indonesia was hit, and hit hard, within 8 minutes. These waves were apparently moving at about 400 mph. Should such a quake occurr off the west coast, there would be little time to evacuate the likes of LA, San Fran, Seattle, and the home of CA, San Diego.
In an 8-minute time frame, there’s very little that could be done. No system is perfect, especially when faced with such unimaginable destruction.

– Mark L. Chance.

JMJ:

That is what I was looking for…good article.

Is Tampa Bay (my home) “off the hook” for something like this?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

May His peace be with you all!

40.png
BenRosa:
JMJ:

That is what I was looking for…good article.

Is Tampa Bay (my home) “off the hook” for something like this?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

May His peace be with you all!
East Coast would be very vulnerable if the unstable volcano now in the Canary Islands goes off…then you could have exceptionally high tsunami waves from as high as Maine down through Florida.

No matter where you live there is always “something” - last night, although it isn’t getting much coverage today, a volcano in Kamchatka Russia went off throwing smoke and fire 6500 feet into the air.

So while the Ring of Fire countries always get the biggest media play, the east coast is vulnerable too.

40.png
HagiaSophia:
East Coast would be very vulnerable if the unstable volcano now in the Canary Islands goes off…then you could have exceptionally high tsunami waves from as high as Maine down through Florida.

No matter where you live there is always “something” - last night, although it isn’t getting much coverage today, a volcano in Kamchatka Russia went off throwing smoke and fire 6500 feet into the air.

So while the Ring of Fire countries always get the biggest media play, the east coast is vulnerable too.
So true. No one is invincible against nature. 😦

HagiaSophia:

Yes, it’s called Tiede…
volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/volc_images/img_tiede.html
and is the 3rd largest volcano in the world.

No indications that it’s unstable though per…volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/current_volcs/current.html

But it’s true that Mother Nature always has something for where ever it is a person lives. We had an unusual summer in that four hurricanes swept through our state.

Would you think these happenings are some kind of sign from above or merely our planet “getting comfortable” again.

40.png
BenRosa:
HagiaSophia:

Yes, it’s called Tiede…
volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/volc_images/img_tiede.html
and is the 3rd largest volcano in the world.

No indications that it’s unstable though per…volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/current_volcs/current.html

But it’s true that Mother Nature always has something for where ever it is a person lives. We had an unusual summer in that four hurricanes swept through our state.

Would you think these happenings are some kind of sign from above or merely our planet “getting comfortable” again.
We sit in Tornado alley. Add to that, we have the New Madrid Fault. 2003 we about got blown away from the Tornadoes. Many of my friends just got moved back into their rebuilt homes a few months ago.

40.png
HagiaSophia:
East Coast would be very vulnerable if the unstable volcano now in the Canary Islands goes off…then you could have exceptionally high tsunami waves from as high as Maine down through Florida…
How far inland would such a wave hit? Less than a mile? A few miles? 10+ miles? 100+ miles?

The west coast will have earthquakes. In recent earthquakes, the newer buildings have proven to be earthquake proof. So, although there will be earthquakes, there probably will be little damage.

Chris Jacobsen:
The west coast will have earthquakes. In recent earthquakes, the newer buildings have proven to be earthquake proof. So, although there will be earthquakes, there probably will be little damage.
I think that if a 10+ hits, this you’re in for an unpleasant surprise and if a tsnumai occurs, it won’t be the earthquake that of necessity causes the major death and destruction.

40.png
HagiaSophia:
I think that if a 10+ hits, this you’re in for an unpleasant surprise. and if a tsnumai occurs, it won’t be the earthquake that of necessity causes the major death and destruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back