M
Maxirad
Guest
Has Raymond Arroyo ever brought up Father Charles Coughlin on The World Over? It wasn’t too long ago that a Jewish man appeared on the show to defend Pope Pius XII.
Who is Father Charles Coughlin? Why are you specifically asking about him?
He definitely was popular for awhile but I can understand the controversy!en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Coughlin
This is who Father Coughlin was, I hear him mentioned quite often, I think he had a radio program that was even before World War II. Apparently he was controversial.
I am familiar with Fr. Charles Couglin because I am from the Detroit area. He was a priest that was on the radio in the 1930’s. He is known for putting together the dream of one of the most beautiful Churches in Metro Detroit, Shrine of the Little Flower in Royal Oak. He used his radio show to raise money and build the Basilica. He also used his radio show to spread anti-semitic views. The plug was pulled on him by the Catholic Church in 1939. He was ordered not to spread his views anymore or face defrocking. He was obedient to that order and then spent the rest of his time as a parish priest at Shrine. I am not sure why you would want Raymond Arroyo to bring him up because this is all old news. Shrine is a beautiful Church, the shape of it is a flower. However, that doesn’t take away from his anti-Semitic views which were condemned by the Catholic Church. He is an anomaly for sure devoted to St. Theresa of Liseaux, the little flower but bought into some horrible ideas which later caused him to be censored by the Catholic Church.Has Raymond Arroyo ever brought up Father Charles Coughlin on The World Over? It wasn’t too long ago that a Jewish man appeared on the show to defend Pope Pius XII.
Well, robwar, perhaps someone will write a book about Father Coughlin someday and will want to promote it on The World Over.I am not sure why you would want Raymond Arroyo to bring him up because this is all old news.
Has Raymond Arroyo ever brought up Father Charles Coughlin on The World Over? It wasn’t too long ago that a Jewish man appeared on the show to defend Pope Pius XII.
The answer to your initial question is No. At keast I haven’t heard him mentioned.Well, robwar, perhaps someone will write a book about Father Coughlin someday and will want to promote it on The World Over.
that would be interesting, but I think there would be difficulty in separating his anti-semitic views from the work he did in putting together the Shrine of the Little Flower. He ended up obeying the Church in being censured. I’m not sure what the positive would be unless one wanted insight into the 1930’s political views. I think a book about him would only bring up ugly anti-Semitic accusations but the reality is that Fr. Couglin’s views are not and were not supported by the Catholic Church.Well, robwar, perhaps someone will write a book about Father Coughlin someday and will want to promote it on The World Over.
Amazon shows no fewer than two books about Fr. Coughlin, one of which is titled “Radio Priest : Charles Coughlin The Father of Hate Radio.” The only two reasons I can think of to speculate on publicizing Fr. Coughlin would be to (a) re-awaken unfortunate memories of a strain of anti-Semitism that existed in certain Church quarters; or, (b) to discredit the progress made in Catholic-Jewish relations and cast a shadow over “Nostra Aetate.”Well, robwar, perhaps someone will write a book about Father Coughlin someday and will want to promote it on The World Over.
I totally agree with you.Amazon shows no fewer than two books about Fr. Coughlin, one of which is titled “Radio Priest : Charles Coughlin The Father of Hate Radio.” The only two reasons I can think of to speculate on publicizing Fr. Coughlin would be to (a) re-awaken unfortunate memories of a strain of anti-Semitism that existed in certain Church quarters; or, (b) to discredit the progress made in Catholic-Jewish relations and cast a shadow over “Nostra Aetate.”
I do not agree with everything FDR did. But in that case he did a good thing. I despise anti-Semitism in any and all forms.FDR reportedly pressured Fr. Coughlin’s bishop to cancel the radio program.
I think that you are correct, especially with the first reason. A few days ago, I had some purportedly Catholic reading material, whose author I was checking out online. Turned out that he was an ultra-radical traditionalist. Browsing over a few websites sponsored by such groups, I was amazed to see how many references there were to Fr. Coughlin. I knew about Coughlin and his anti-Semitic views, and I fear the “radicals” might be embracing some of his ideas. Scary stupid.Amazon shows no fewer than two books about Fr. Coughlin, one of which is titled “Radio Priest : Charles Coughlin The Father of Hate Radio.” The only two reasons I can think of to speculate on publicizing Fr. Coughlin would be to (a) re-awaken unfortunate memories of a strain of anti-Semitism that existed in certain Church quarters; or, (b) to discredit the progress made in Catholic-Jewish relations and cast a shadow over “Nostra Aetate.”