Greetings! I’m a Protestant and I try my very best to represent Catholicism accurately as possible when speaking to others concerning it. I was discussing Catholicism with a couple of my friends a month ago and one of them (a calvinist, I’m an arminian) made the claim that the Roman Catholic Church teaches that one must go through the seven sacraments in order to be saved and go to heaven. Now, I’m not an expert on what you guys believe, but that didn’t sound right. Marriage is one of the sacraments, and priests can’t marry so that would mean they’de all go to hell, and holy orders is another sacrament so that means all the non-priests would go to hell right?
I told him I didn’t think that was accurate, but he told me that it was and that you also believe that unless you have the last rites done for you, you can’t go to heaven either.
Is this what the RCC really teaches?
Thanks alot!
I am quite amused when protestants discuss amongst themselves exactly what the Catholic Church teaches!
Baptism is necessary. Most mainline Christian denominations
do have valid Baptism. Also, Marriage is a sacrament that most mainline Christian denominations also have. Whether they regard it as a sacrament or not is irrelevent; they
are. But as far as the Church is concerned, Catholic Christians *do not *have to go through all the seven Sacraments to be saved and go to Heaven. In fact, there is no guarantee that we will go to Heaven even with the reception of the sacraments we
do receive. That rests on the total mercy of God.
In the Western Church, Baptism, Eucharist and Confirmation are separate in the sense that they can be conferred at different times on the professed Christian. Thus, Baptism as a general rule is conferred soon after birth on infants, the sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession) is usually introduced before the introduction of the Eucharist, and Confirmation as a sacrament is given when usually in 7th or 8th grade.
In the Eastern Church (which also includes the orthodox), Baptism, Eucharist and Confirmation are all given at the same time, when the infant is baptized.
Optional sacraments are Marriage, and Holy Orders. The Sacrament of the Sick (which used to be extreme unction - which used to be given only on the point of death) is now open to anyone who is sick or ill.
Holy Orders is a special sacrament that is open to the priesthood and deaconship. It is only given if one becomes a Deacon or enters full priesthood.
So, in the Western Church, the seven Sacraments are:
Baptism
Reconciliation
Eucharist (Holy Communion)
Confirmation
Sacrament of the Sick
Marriage
Holy Orders
In the Eastern Church, the Sacraments are:
Baptism
Chrismation (Confirmation)
Holy Communion (Eucharist)
Holy Orders
Penance (Reconciliation)
Anointing of the Sick
Marriage
With regard to Marriage and Priesthood, the Eastern Church allows the marriage of their priests
prior to receiving Holy Orders. However, if the wife dies at any time, the priest can no longer marry again. Bishops in the Eastern Church are usually all celibate (unmarried). In the Western Church, priests *are not *allowed to marry. However, deacons
can marry as they are not ‘full’ priests.
I hope this clears up the matter. Your friend needs to get his head on str8 and get educated! There is nothing more embarassing than the arrogance of someone who thinks they know “all things” .